PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
I recently picked up an Old Dominion while I was stocking up on the new Peterson Dunhill blends: I love the bowl shape but can't really get along with the stem, so I've toying with the idea of doing some DIY modding. (I'm thinking the easy route will be an Eltang Basic kinda vibe or... go all out?)

Guess I'm starting this thread to tease out some pictures/inspiration for DIY cobs, anyone got them? Lets see them!

aJURouOl.jpg

Jun 23, 2019
I've got 4 of the Old Dominion cobs and I like the reed stems because of their nostalgic value, but I also would like to see some mod pics.

Aesthetically I love it too, just got a fan of the "mouthfeel".

I ‘hottodded’ a MM CG by staining its stem with MinWax ;) She’s a real beauty!

Would love to see some pics!

The only 'mod' I've done was to order long mouthpieces for both my Eaton and Morgan cobs, as I don't care for nosewarmers.

View attachment 9159

Oh wow, I almost have the exact same looking set up with a Forever Stem on my Morgan!

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Here’s a pic. Now gentlemen, please remain calm.

This pipe is in fact for sale to the right bidder, and I can produce more. It is an exacting and time consuming process, and I’m cleaning my messages for the inevitable influx of requests ;-)

73754794-12E3-485B-A7AA-A4B229577421.jpeg

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a nice mod, for sure. I'd also suggest persisting with the reed stem, or perhaps reshaping it slightly so you have a flat place for your teeth, just a bit. I guess that's a pun. I'd keep at least one Dominion with the original reed stem; it's a blast from the past, very authentic. My dad used to buy reed stem cobs.

Reactions: indoeuro

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've got 4 of the Old Dominion cobs and I like the reed stems because of their nostalgic value, but I also would like to see some mod pics.
Same except I only have 2 Old Dominion cobs. I wouldn't fuck with the stem. At least not until I really knew I didn't get along with it. Once you figure out how easy it is to clench and how the draw works, suddenly the stem seems a lot nicer. The hint for clenching is not to really bite down and use your molars. The stems are sturdier and less slick and slidy then they at first seem.

Reactions: kurtbob

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I hate the reed stem too.
I would drill the draft hole out and use a missouri meerschaum wood shank with stem.
I believe you can buy just the stem with shank.

Mar 1, 2014
I think the first idea for most people to explore is making custom acrylic stems.
Plastering and painting is pretty easy too.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Just get a piece of bamboo which will fit a replacement MM stem. Drill the cob out to fit. Whittle the bamboo to an angle and glue it in. Easy peasy.

I had a MM shank come out on me once and I replaced it with a reed, just because. Smoked well and doesn't look too bad.

Jun 23, 2019
Anyone have a recommendation on adhesives that are safe to use?

I have some supplies from modeling but I'm not confident they'd be safe.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Pretty much any wood glue should be safe. I think it's what they use at Missouri Meerschaum. I've used a mixture of wood glue and cob dust for filling and minor sculpting ...

? - Ahem! Not that I ever make homemade cobs or anything like that ...

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I've done a couple of mods on legends turned them into nosewarmer. And pony express, tom sawyer into an anise. No pics all of them went to a new pouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.