PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Similar to a meerschaum lined briar, has there ever been a corn cob lined briar?
I just bought an estate Estella off ebay, and the bowl was in really bad shape. I'm considering hollowing it out enough to stuff a corn cob bowl in it. It's certainly large enough.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Point taken, but cobs are cheap and this Estella is ready for the trash as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame because the rest of the pipe is in great shape.
I like your new picture. Is that one of the new Vauen pipes on your shoulder?

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
I just noticed that in starting this thread, I hit 100 posts. Anyone want to buy a pipe?

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Cob bowl cemented in place with pipe mud.
img_1624-600x450.jpg

I had an old MM reed stem pipe, with an outside diameter of 1 1/16" and total bowl height of about 1 3/4". I opened the bowl up on the briar pipe with a combination of a Dremel and a 1" Forstner bit, stopping about an 1/8" above the draft hole.
Once the pipe mud dries, I'm going to drill the corn cob insert out to 7/8", straight through the bottom of the corn cob, connecting it to the bottom of the briar's original bowl and draft hole. I know this may seem ridiculous to some but it's fun for me, and I think it will work out well and save the pipe.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Exactly!
I should have titled the thread "Missouri Meerschaum-Lined Briar". Sounds more sophisticated.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I still think home-made would do it. Cut to length, hollow out, dry in oven at lowest setting if air drying is taking too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.