PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

burndiggla

Lurker
Mar 2, 2020
Why not filling corn cob cracks with silicone?
Its baking save, expandable, cheap, weed pipes are made of, you can dye it... everything - Let´s start the blabla and the boring background story.... Hi guys, nice to meet you. I´m new to everthing, pipe smoking and the forum. I started pipe smoking two years ago, bought two expensive Morettis wich I love, cobs and a Vauen briar - at the end - I prefer cobs. Taste is better and I do not have to give a damn about maintenance - I´m a smoker, not a caretaker, not a collector - No one should be offended, it´s just my personal point of view - do what ever. English language is not my mother tongue. Lets move on: I prever to order the so called "high end cobs" from missouri meerschaum and my brain is rotating because of the durability. 30 bucks for a cob wich cracks probably in 10 years or 50 for a Vauen wich lasts a life time... I saw all the YouTube videos from aristocat and read lot´s of articles about filling - you fill it - it cracks somewhere else. SO... Why not expandable silicone? Have a great day, stay healthy, dry matches.... I´m looking forward for your opinion, peace.

Reactions: chopper
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I just use wood filler and i do so because i can sand it down smooth very quickly and easily. Most of the cracks i get are not deep but usually around the stem. I am not sure about the smell of the silicone when the pipe gets hot, or if the fumes could be harmful

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Didn't know pot pipes were made of silicone now. Are you talking about silicone like from a caulking gun, and is it the same stuff? Wouldn't think so, but I dunno.

Regardless, I just fix corn cob cracks with wood glue or Elmer's on the outside and fill the inside with honey. Then I rub the ashes into the honey for a while.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
There are many different types of silicone. It is a generic term for a whole group of polymers that contain oxygen sandwiched by silicon and organic carbon groups. They’re not all the same. And the carriers in caulk type products mightn’t be a good idea if placed anywhere that sees flame or embers. I’m not saying it won’t work, just that there are probably better alternatives.

burndiggla

Lurker
Mar 2, 2020
I posted the idea because I never heard about a silicone treatment on cobs. Of course most people use some kind of glue, but it hardens and give the cob the opportunity to crack some where else as soon as it shrinks or expands because of the moisture. Silicone would play that game without forcing the cob to expand somehere else. I´m not a chemical technician but reading the article of silicone on wikipedia makes me think beacause silicone is used for baking, health proof. Glue also isn´t that health supporting and mostly the fire isn´t touching the repaired crack, usually you repair outside flaws. I do not wanna make ad´s for silicone, I think about improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: BROBS
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
My cracks are just cosmetic , I have one the Devil Cutty that wasnt glued very well around the stem . But i smoke my cobs daily and keep them clean. I have a morgan that is a big clencher for me and the stem has a few light teeth marks

Reactions: tomatamot and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
They will only crack if you let them build cake. If you clean it out every time and let them rest they will last forever.
The only one I had crack got left out in the rain.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Why not filling corn cob cracks with silicone?
Its baking save, expandable, cheap, weed pipes are made of, you can dye it... everything - Let´s start the blabla and the boring background story.... Hi guys, nice to meet you. I´m new to everthing, pipe smoking and the forum. I started pipe smoking two years ago, bought two expensive Morettis wich I love, cobs and a Vauen briar - at the end - I prefer cobs. Taste is better and I do not have to give a damn about maintenance - I´m a smoker, not a caretaker, not a collector - No one should be offended, it´s just my personal point of view - do what ever. English language is not my mother tongue. Lets move on: I prever to order the so called "high end cobs" from missouri meerschaum and my brain is rotating because of the durability. 30 bucks for a cob wich cracks probably in 10 years or 50 for a Vauen wich lasts a life time... I saw all the YouTube videos from aristocat and read lot´s of articles about filling - you fill it - it cracks somewhere else. SO... Why not expandable silicone? Have a great day, stay healthy, dry matches.... I´m looking forward for your opinion, peace.
Maybe because it's highly poisonous? Just a guess....

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Silicon itself is inert, and not harmful, but all "silicon" glue/caulking has a whole bunch of other shiz in it you definitely don't want to smoke. If you can find a silicon glue product that specifically states that it is high temp stable and non toxic then I would have no problem using it though.

I use whatever pva glue (Elmer's, white school glue, wood glue, etc) is handy mixed with fine sawdust or plaster of Paris. AFAIK the MM factory uses plaster mixed with PVA.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I prefer wood putty as well. Fill the cracks, sand it flush, and refill as necessary. It looks goofy for the first couple of smokes, but then darkens nicely and gives it a nice aged look.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
What about gluing the stem to stay in the bowl? I know Elmers wont hold mine....
I've also used wood putty where the shank enters the bowl. On the outside. However I didn't do it because it was falling out, but the plaster was coming off. More of a preventative thing. But I would think that would work too.

Reactions: 3rdguy

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
It looks like they used something similar to Titebond at the factory. I don’t know for sure though. And I’m assuming you meant for gluing the shank into the bowl.
Correct, the shank. I have about 4 years of daily use out of this particular cob but the shank does not stay put for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.