PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I will add that I am not a fan of the open draw of a filtered cob without the filter so I prefer the Patriot as it has a respectably sized bowl and is designed without a filter.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I count seven cobs, three MM's with Forever acrylic stems, one with plastic stem and a softie, and two Old Dominion with reed shank/stems (all one piece), a very small Chesapeake, and a small/med Laughing King. They are master pipes for burley blends and single leaf, but do pretty well with most blends. Probably least likely to succeed with blends with four or more tobaccos, English or Balkan, where a broader bowl does well.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
You have way to many cobs in your cart. You will only need 2 or 3 max. Then sell all your briar pipes, and you will be happy.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
I have had two cobs that I got in a lot of briar's off ebay a couple of months ago. Never really planned to do anything with them, but cleaned one up for the heck of it and just tried it. Shocked the heck out of me. Tried some Frog Morton in it and it tasted better then in any of my briars. Think I am going to try some other blends in it and see what I see.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
the country gentleman for sure. The bigger bowl and the open draw is what I love. this may not suit your faster smoking style that you mentioned. +1 to anyone who said throw out the filters... I love cobs in general, especially for trying new tobacco, less ghosting...

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I think I'm the only one who doesn't care for the Country Gent. The big bowl hurts my wimpy jaw apparently. I'm a fan of how the Mark Twain looks, but never bought one for the fear of it being too heavy. The Legend is my favorite.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I think I'm the only one who doesn't care for the Country Gent. The big bowl hurts my wimpy jaw apparently. I'm a fan of how the Mark Twain looks, but never bought one for the fear of it being too heavy. The Legend is my favorite.
If you like the Legend, try the Pride. The Pride has a natural bowl is the same size as the Legend but way lighter.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Cobs, even with a nice Forever Stem on them, are really not my best clenchers. I think I would have to resort to modding a Twain or Country Gent to make the shank enter at a more acute angle, as well as re-bend the Danish bits I prefer. Sort of a cob Oom Paul/Hungarian, if you will.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Wonder if he ever got his order to take?
"Your item arrived at our USPS facility in CHICAGO, IL 60666 on February 11, 2017 at 7:23 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination."

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
I'm resurrecting this thread to update that after 35 days, I finally got my sweet cobs.
After a very satisfying first smoke in a Mark Twain, I have a couple of questions, if I may.
1. A very small amount of dottle is "trapped" between the wooden bit of the shank. I blow, poke it with the tool, shake it, but can't seem to remove it all. Is it OK to leave it there?
2. Some stems are very easy to remove, others are so tight that I'm afraid of breaking them. Seems that I won't be doing deep cleaning on those. Any problems with that?
Thanks in advance.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
1. It won't do any harm to leave it there, but I get mine out by grabbing the pipe by the shank (not stem!) and thumping the bowl on the palm of my hand.
2. Remove the tight stems by putting the pipe in the refrigerator for about an hour. After the first couple of times you remove them for cleaning, they probably won't be overly tight anymore.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I always try to fill that gap with dottle. Then when it rises to where the shank meets, it will eventually cake over.
And yes the stock stems on all of my corn cobs always get loose. Like very loose.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Didi- when mine get too loose, I shim them with a single wrap of Scotch tape on the tenon. Works like a champ.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I let crap build up beneath the inserted stem, and in time it will almost form a regular chamber bottom. I've never really had a problem with tight or loose stems, but there's plenty of info around on how to address it if it doesn't cure itself.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
1. A very small amount of dottle is "trapped" between the wooden bit of the shank. I blow, poke it with the tool, shake it, but can't seem to remove it all. Is it OK to leave it there?
2. Some stems are very easy to remove, others are so tight that I'm afraid of breaking them. Seems that I won't be doing deep cleaning on those. Any problems with that?

1. This problem will take care of itself. A crude form of cake will fill those gaps. Let it happen. You don't have to be nearly as careful cleaning out a cob as a briar.
2. As long as you managed to get those pesky filters out, not a big deal. I've used silicone tape to tighten loose ones, and some careful work with a file on the stem of the tight ones.
Looks like you selected a nice variety. Enjoy! :puffy:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Aldecaker. I always just sand down my stems to make more of a military style bit when they get loose like that. Works great lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.