PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
Quick question on breaking in a corn cob, I'm an English smoker that wants to delve into virginia's and virginia Periques. I recently picked up a Missouri Meerschaum Charles Towne Cobbler, want a pure base with no Latakia ghosting. My question is being as virginias smoke hot, is it a good idea to break in a cob with say Newminster No.400 Navy Flake, or would it be better with a ribbon cut? I have some Elizabethan match also.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
First off, the Charles Towne cobbler is a fine pipe. I generally don't worry about break in too much. Just load your favorite tobacco and take off. Whether flake or ribbon, it doesn't matter to me. You may taste a faint corn like flavor at first but usually after a bowl or two this is gone. The other issue for some is that the wooden stem extends into the bowl. I just smoke the bowl down to the point where I taste burning wood, take a couple more puffs and dump. Over time, at least for me, the wooden shank extending into the bowl burns off. I'm sure others will offer their opinions but this is what works for me.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I leave the wood as is - it will get charred at first, but should not burn. To each their own.

If you have issues with Latakia ghosts, smoke some Burley through it for a while. I'm currently converting/recently converted some cobs over from Latakia blends and after 3-4 Burley bowls, the Latakia appears to be gone.

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
I'll add that I smoke just down to the wood on a cob, not to the point of charring. That cobbler is angled well enough that you can smoke a good bowl without having to deal with the burnt taste of wood from a purely horizontal insert. I've ruined a ozark and legend MM by the wood getting too charred and leaving a worse taste than any ghost may give, though the biggest problem with the legend was that the hole was bored too far and leaves room for too much dottle.

Reactions: pantsBoots

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
I use a small Dremel to remove the inner wooden shank and then put pipe mud at the bottom of the bowl, makes them bullet proof from the first go. I know others can smoke until the wood burns away,.,but to be honest…I just like fiddling around with a Dremel ?
How do you make pipe mud?

Reactions: kcghost