Cordon Bleu Cooks. Why Do They Have to Be So Good ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I have experienced something sort of similar when it comes to trying to replicate some of my favorite dishes that are made by others.

Have you watched her make the coffee to note any differences you might not have known about? As mentioned by others, coffee can be one of those things where little differences can affect the final product in a major way. Of course, I wouldn't feel too guilty about not measuring up to a well trained chef when it comes to matters of taste and cookery. If you can't figure out her secret, maybe her coffee will just have to remain one of those treats for when you two are together.

Jun 25, 2021
England
I have experienced something sort of similar when it comes to trying to replicate some of my favorite dishes that are made by others.

Have you watched her make the coffee to note any differences you might not have known about? As mentioned by others, coffee can be one of those things where little differences can affect the final product in a major way. Of course, I wouldn't feel too guilty about not measuring up to a well trained chef when it comes to matters of taste and cookery. If you can't figure out her secret, maybe her coffee will just have to remain one of those treats for when you two are together.
Yeah, one of those treats when we get together is the best I can hope for in this imperfect world

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
It's in the technique and understanding of the nuances around the ingredients. Timing too, temperature of the water, steeping time for the coffee. No two pieces of meat are identical, it's the seasoning, the grain size of the salt, how it is applied, when it is applied in relation to cooking. Is butter used (there's a LOT Of butter used in professional kitchens, likely the only thing without butter in it is the drink in your glass). There're likely a ton of different seasonings and herbs in any dish made by a professional that we don't perceive individually but they elevate the dish. It's a skilled job!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
As a I waiter, and therefore hated by chefs, I worked with a number of them who specialized in being sadistic bastards but who nonetheless knew how to plate and serve up the food at speed at lunch, and at a more leisurely pace and with more special touches at dinner.

As regards coffee I have for years pined for whole bean coffee and recently bought a number of pounds of whole bean but was surprised to learn that I preferred the taste of Cafe Bustelo, which was what I had been drinking all along.

I'm going to save some money and drink Cafe Bustelo.

Reactions: Morrison Jeremiah
Jun 25, 2021
England
As a I waiter, and therefore hated by chefs, I worked with a number of them who specialized in being sadistic bastards but who nonetheless knew how to plate and serve up the food at speed at lunch, and at a more leisurely pace and with more special touches at dinner.

As regards coffee I have for years pined for whole bean coffee and recently bought a number of pounds of whole bean but was surprised to learn that I preferred the taste of Cafe Bustelo, which was what I had been drinking all along.

I'm going to save some money and drink Cafe Bustelo.
Ha, the irony of the would be connoisseur's life.
Ain't there just always something out there waiting to cut us down to size.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
The nuisances range from different brands of ingredients, even down to the water source, type of pan, temperature, source of heat, and atmosphere ... like sea level and humidity.

Minor techniques come into play as well, like adding a pat of butter to a steak while it rests or airing the coffee beans. Maybe a pinch of salt, nutmeg, or cinnamon is added or the mug is slightly warmed.

Also, honing a craft plays a big part that separates the professional from the home cook. Tricks of the trade, like how to cut an onion, come in to play. You may dice 3 pounds of onions in a month. Cooks so the same in 20 minutes daily.

Additionally, sometimes food just tastes better if prepared by another, whether nostalgic or otherwise.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Mr. Tyrant- I agree with your post in all respects.

But it also leads me to question the old saw about female cooks/sous-chefs, etc. that are thought to ruin many dishes simply because it's their time of the month. Any truth to that?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Mr. Tyrant- I agree with your post in all respects.

But it also leads me to question the old saw about female cooks/sous-chefs, etc. that are thought to ruin many dishes simply because it's their time of the month. Any truth to that?
Generally, the female cooks that last in the kitchen are tougher than the men ... which is interesting because most cooks are akin to pirates or thieves. After all, they get paid to play with fire, knives, and dead flesh.

That said, hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn and I'd be cranky too if I bled for a week and didn't die.

Regardless, a female's ability to cook while menstruating likely changes about as much as a male's when hungover ... hangovers of which occur a lot due to the nature of the business (most cannot operate in a regular 9-5 society).

Reactions: jpmcwjr

FALaholic

Might Stick Around
Jan 15, 2022
North Carolina, USA
While I think some of that may be psychological I can also tell you that cooking, and baking is chemistry. Nuances in temperature and timing may seem insignificant but make big difference. Some dishes are more forgiving than others. That doesn’t even get into ingredients like you mentioned.