PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BiginV3gas

Lurker
Feb 11, 2023
Optimum humidity for pipe tobacco is much lower than the optimum storage humidity for cigars, thus as others have said boveda packs are largely unnecessary, unless the tin is open and you live in a desert. I normally open a tin ~1 week before I anticipate smoking it to let it dry out, some tins (notably SG) are left without a lid for several days.

I don't open tins simply to transfer to a mason jar or mylar bag, luckily I've not had a tin fail on me. Similarly I've not had any mold problems in any of storage methods mentioned. Tobacco that is in the rotation is kept in its tin, mason jar, or transferred to a bail jar like the one shown by @craig61a.
For cigar humidors, I would stick with 72% to 75% Boveda packs, depending on how leaky the humidor is. I use Boveda packs for humidty control, not simply humidification, since it can move the humidity in both directions, depending on what's needed. Some blends arrive alarmingly "wet."

BiginV3gas

Lurker
Feb 11, 2023
You may actually cause mold problems if you add the Bovedas to your mason jars.

I’m a long time cigar smoker (30yrs +). Have been smoking a pipe 7-8yrs. Cigar guys often think they need to do the same with pipe tobacco as cigars, but it may actually cause problems to do so. Just put your pipe baccy in mason jars & nothing else. It’s one of the additional benefits of pipes - less storage hassles.

Mac
Thanks. I appreciate the input. I had hoped that the 62% packs would prevent that. As much of a concern with dry tobacco was some of the baccys that come relatively "wet". In that case, I was trying to use the Bovedas for humidity control rather than humidification.

Reactions: 5star

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Thanks. I appreciate the input. I had hoped that the 62% packs would prevent that. As much of a concern with dry tobacco was some of the baccys that come relatively "wet". In that case, I was trying to use the Bovedas for humidity control rather than humidification.
The way to deal with pipe tobacco wetter than your preference is to let it dry some after taking some from the jar.
Youll find what works best for your tastes & conditions with each specific tobacco.

If you ran a poll here and asked how many guys put Bovedas in their mason jars with pipe tobacco, the number is likely to be extremely low. Especially among long time veteran pipe smokers.

Mac

Last edited:

BiginV3gas

Lurker
Feb 11, 2023
The way to deal with pipe tobacco wetter than your preference is to let it dry some after taking some from the jar.
Youll find what works best for your tastes & conditions with each specific tobacco.

Mac
I forgot to add that Wyoming is a very arid climate, made worse in our 6 months of winter when the heating units are running full tilt. Trying to maintain anything dependent on proper humidity (guitars, cigars) is a full-time effort. I recently remedied the problem with wooden desktop cigar humidors by purchasing a Whynter unit, which seals really well. I noticed that my opened tins of pipe tobacco were drying to an unwelcome extent after just a couple of days. It's so dry around here that I cut my finger on a stiff-bristle pipe cleaner 2 weeks ago, and it still hasn't healed! Downright unfriendly dry air!

Reactions: 5star

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I forgot to add that Wyoming is a very arid climate, made worse in our 6 months of winter when the heating units are running full tilt. Trying to maintain anything dependent on proper humidity (guitars, cigars) is a full-time effort. I recently remedied the problem with wooden desktop cigar humidors by purchasing a Whynter unit, which seals really well. I noticed that my opened tins of pipe tobacco were drying to an unwelcome extent after just a couple of days. It's so dry around here that I cut my finger on a stiff-bristle pipe cleaner 2 weeks ago, and it still hasn't healed! Downright unfriendly dry air!
Sounds like you’ll need to immediately put your pipe baccy in a mason har after opening a tin.

Wyoming is a beautiful state. I’ve enjoyed tremendously every trip we’ve taken there.

Mac

BiginV3gas

Lurker
Feb 11, 2023
Sounds like you’ll need to immediately put your pipe baccy in a mason har after opening a tin.

Wyoming is a beautiful state. I’ve enjoyed tremendously every trip we’ve taken there.

Mac
That was my reasoning for humidifying the bins themselves, for storing the open tins.

It is a beautiful place. Moved here 16 years ago and ain't budging.

JJ_JJ_JJ_JJ

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2022
Ok, I was wondering if anyone else was using these, as opposed to mason jars. I find these to be less of an inconvenience than the mason jars, simply because I don't have to fiddle with lids.
Ive read in a few places these things do not seal well. Just in case you are planning longer term with them

Reactions: Cyxelsid

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
It seems like the cigar guys are stuck in their ways and aren't interested in the sound advice from everyone here.

You guys do you, but the process you are going through sure does sound unnecessary. Coolidors, tuppadors, boveda, all unnecessary and don't really add any benefits.

But if it makes you feel better, who am I to argue.
Couldn't agree more and I'm quoting you because what you wrote bears repeating. The people that don't heed this advice because they want to play around with Boveda packs will regret it.

Reactions: NomadOrb

BiginV3gas

Lurker
Feb 11, 2023
Couldn't agree more and I'm quoting you because what you wrote bears repeating. The people that don't heed this advice because they want to play around with Boveda packs will regret it.
Oh, those darn "cigar guys." There goes the neighborhood! lol

Reactions: kcghost

EK_Packers

Lurker
Mar 4, 2022
Northern Michigan
So I think what I'm picking up is that all you really need to do is either:
  • store your ziplocks of bulk tobaccos and tins of pipe tobacco in jars with no added moisture pack, but keep cigars in their own jars with a boveda pack at the correct moisture for the cigars. --or--
  • Would you store the pipe tobaccos inside the lined cabinet *not* in jars, and then the cigars in the same cabinet but inside the jars with boveda packs?
I got this nifty vintage, metal-lined humidor cabinet at an auction and I'm trying to get my setup right.

Thanks!

Reactions: Cyxelsid