PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Cool down time would depend on how hot you let the bowl get while you smoked, and how warm the environment is. I generally let my pipes cool down to room temperature before I will take a stem off for cleaning.
I dump the ash and dottle, brush out the bowl, and run a pipe cleaner through the stem right after I finish the smoke. Every 3 or 4 smokes with a pipe I'll do a more thorough cleaning.

Mar 1, 2014
Hi pipers... When I finish a bowl, I know to let it cool before taking apart to clean. But is there any need to cool before I dump the ash or lightly scrape the bowl? How long should a cool down take? Thanks!
Tom

The latest trend is to rinse out your pipe out with water as soon as you're done the bowl.
I haven't tried it myself (a pipe cleaner dipped in alcohol seems adequate) but as of yet no one has reported breaking a pipe from rinsing it with water.
(Also go ahead and smoke the pipe 24/7 if you want, the idea of resting pipes is most likely nothing more than a sales tactic.)

As best as we can tell almost all of the pipe cleaning protocols established 100 years ago have never been established in scientific fact.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
If I'm smoking a meerschaum pipe I'll leave the ash/dottle in the bowl until I'm ready to smoke it again (could be the next day). I find it helps with the coloring. With briar I let the pipe sit for 20 minutes and then stir and dump the ash. With cobs there isn't any time limit, but I generally dump right after I finish, wait 10 minutes and then load and smoke again if I want another bowl.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
I have the opposite happen to me if I get busy and puff away mindlessly. Gotta dump that glowing lava like briquette before it melts it’s way through the bottom of the bowl

• Haha
Reactions: Charlie718

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
Seriously though. If my smoke was cool and sweet I’ll let it sit. If it was hot, wet and harsh, I’ll dump it an wipe it as soon as I stop

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
From what I read, for not damaging a pipe is clean when cool. Not sure if true but that's what I do. Right after I smoke smoke I lightly scrape, dump and blow lightly to get anything chunky or ash out. Later on when I am smoking another pipe I clean the cooled down ones. This way when I am jonesing to smoke I already have a clean bowl to smoke.

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
Been a dog guy my whole life. Sickingly enough I prefer hot to cold. Either way my dog looks back at me like I am a poopaphiliac degenerate

• Haha

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
I’ve also been a dog guy my whole life. Whenever I see people letting the dogs lead them and then they pick up after the dog I alsways think that the dog looks back thinking “who’s really the alpha here” lmfao