PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
Well, not really.
Who plants and maintains a kitchen garden to supply fresh vegetables and herbs?
A salsa garden is a worthy entry. A tomato plant, some chilis, cilantro, garlic and some onions will fit nicely into a half wine barrel.
Just about any tomato will serve---just make certain there is enough calcium in the soil to prevent blossom end rot. For chilis either Jalapenos or Fresnos can provide the heat. A red onion set will provide a few crops over a long summer.
I also like to keep a planter with fresh rosemary and sage convenient to the grill.
Japanese eggplant and zucchinis are great for grilling as well, especially just picked from the garden.
No yard? No problem! A container garden will fit on a patio and is much less work besides.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Nice.

Despite cooking for a living for the first half of my career, including a restaurant that grew its own herbs, I never got into home gardening. The reasons/excuses are many, such as time, space, apartment living, laziness, and having a kid.

I do have an AeroGarden that I used once. It is an indoor garden that is very low maintenance and sits on a counter.

We ended up with a lot of basil, but there is only so much pesto you can eat. If I recall, we had some chives and parsley too. I may try again since I can now order the herbs i want.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I've got four large raised beds I'm preparing for Spring planting once the danger of frost passes.
The wood planks came from the floorboards of a stock trailer. The initial fertilizer also came from the floorboards of a livestock trailer.