PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Sharing some crude conversions. My first experience with Churchwardens. Let the record show that I do believe that a longer stem does in fact cool the smoke. Even with the cob bowl it is noticeably more smooth and tasteful. I noticed it somewhat with my homemade bamboo pipes thinking it was just dryer smoke but these churchwardens have driven the point home.
The one with copper is an amazingly cool smoker. The copper provides a large reverse calabash like zone and is quite cool and almost cold to the touch. Even when I puffed away hard it never got past ambient temperature. I just threw these together during an impatient endeavor. Serendipity at work! As I passed it to my wife she said for a split second she thought the copper was hot. That's how cold it is.
2cpdkj7.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I recently got my third churchwarden, the first being the Savenelli 601 blast in my avatar to the left. My second is a little Ewa Group 2 that is perfect for short smokes and flake. My third is a recently acquired Big Ben Lectura straight that rounds out the kit in a churchwarden case my wife gave me as a gift. A churchwarden is an elegant way to smoke, and a good addition to anyone's stable of pipes. Despite its British sound, Big Ben is a Dutch made pipe.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've just never been a church guy and my pipes have their own beliefs and shall not be convinced nor converted to go church or temple. :)

Mar 1, 2014
I was pretty shocked the first time I tried a normal sized pipe, the warm sensation was almost unsettling for someone who smoked nothing but long stems for their first few months.
Right now I love the 8" length pipes. More managable but still long enough to keep the smoke out of my face.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Big Ben Lectura is only 8.5 inches and has a larger bowl than most 'wardens.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I like the copper cooler! Does it impart a metallic taste to the smoke? I know sometimes brass can.

Status
Not open for further replies.