PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sholto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 18, 2019
Kansas & (occasionally) Kendal, UK
When I was in Kendal last August I picked up an "outer" (5) of CCP tins. It's strong with a dominant Lakeland essence and I'm enjoying it very much.

I'm getting through the tins and thinking about replacements but obviously a trip back home is out of the question for now.

I've seen bagged CCP online here in the US. Is it the same animal?

TR seems to have two reviews, one for scented (I presume the same as these tins) and one for unscented.

Is the scented variety available here?

This is what I have:
IMG_20200518_202721476~2.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: rushx9

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
The version available in the US is not that one, at least I don’t think so. The cut plug available here does have a mild Lakeland scent but nowhere near brown flake scented or dark flake scented or other more aromatic blends associated with having the Lakeland essence. The TR reviews align with ours being the unscented version to me as well.

sholto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 18, 2019
The version available in the US is not that one, at least I don’t think so. The cut plug available here does have a mild Lakeland scent but nowhere near brown flake scented or dark flake scented or other more aromatic blends associated with having the Lakeland essence. The TR reviews align with ours being the unscented version to me as well.
That's what I was afraid of. I think I'll order a small quantity so I can do a comparison.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I was unaware of the tin for this tobacco. The Coniston I've gotten in the USA is bulk and has definite Lakeland overtones. But, the tobacco is so good that it comes through the perfume and soap. In fact,, the overall experience is quite elegant. Will ghost a pipe.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
When I was in Kendal last August I picked up an "outer" (5) of CCP tins.
View attachment 30408
An "outer", eh? Is that a common term for a 5-pack, or more of a Lakelandish thing? We had a discussion going on not too long ago about whether it's called a tong or a quint, log, roll, sleeve, or just 5-pack. Would outer be any 5-pack, or only rectangle tins?

Last edited:

sholto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 18, 2019
An "outer", eh? Is that a common term for a 5-pack, or more of a Lakelandish thing? We had a discussion going on not too long ago about whether it's called a tong or a quint, log, roll, sleeve, or just 5-pack. Would outer be any 5-pack, or only rectangle tins?
I'm not really sure. The newsagent I bought them from called them an "outer" and when I got them they were all in cardboard boxes (with obligatory disease imagery). If I remember correctly they were then wrapped in a plastic wrap.
Apparently G&H/SG will only sell him a minimum of 5 tins at a time and not mix & match them.

sholto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 18, 2019
The following was part of Peter's reply last year to my enquiry:

"Due to the new legal rules recently introduced I have to buy full Outers of tobacco. In other words I have to buy in lots of five minimum.

Regarding available brands, I should definitely be able to get 1792 Flake, Balkan Mixture, Kendal Black Cherry, Gawith Red, Rum and Maple, Ennerdale, Coniston Cut Plug, Mahogany.

In addition, all the Samual Gawith tobaccos will be available, approximately 70, but, again, only as full outers.

I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful but these rules are very onerous and can’t be circumvented."

This from Peter Baxter of Aireys of Kendal. A super helpful guy and well worth dealing with if you happen to be in the UK.

• Love
Oct 7, 2016
Conniston Cut Plug Aromatic is now called Conniston Cut Plug A. At UK shops that carry the full line, it is available alongside the non aromatic Conniston Cut Plug that we get here in the US. Since the tin in the OP’s post doesn’t say aromatic, my guess is that it would be the non aromatic version. But the packaging rules have changed so much I think only a UK tobacconist could say for sure. I saw someone on another forum post about a year ago that he brought some bilk nonaromatic CCP back from the UK to the US in his suitcase, which became totally ghosted.

The knowledge that there is in fact a more “Lakelandish” edition of CCP is one of those things that I am not sure I wish I knew.

Reactions: rushx9 and sholto
Status
Not open for further replies.