Confused: What Does A Naturally Sweet Virgina Taste Like?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I've been looking for an uncased, untopped virginia blend that is considered "sweet" by the masses. I like the virginias I've smoked, but I can't say I consider them as sweet as others claim they are. Maybe my palate isn't refined enough. Maybe my expectations are too high. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for.

I've tried, Orlik GS, SG golden glow, best brown and FVF, Capstan blue, all the PS luxury flakes, Solani 633, MacB HH pure virgina, Sutliff 507-S. Probably a few others.

Just what exactly should I be tasting when I smoke what is deemed by most a "sweet" natural virginia?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Maybe your tastebuds are just different. Not everyone tastes the exact same thing as everyone else, but for me, bright Virginias taste sweet and grassy, kind of hay-like, not that I eat hay. Sometimes I get a hint of citrus, though not as much as some other people do it seems. Reds tend to be a little less sweet for me, but a bit more caramelized and/or fruity. These are just generalizations, of course. Every blend is different, and so is every smoker.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Sweetness in a Virginia is similar to the sweetness you can get from freshly baked bread or pastry, to my palate. It’s not heavy and sticky sweet, but light and more perceived towards the back of your mouth and on the retrohale.

Properly cured reds like McClelland did are good examples, unfortunately.

Things that are in current production seem to need a bit of age for the sweetness to become more obvious. The European Virginia blends fall more on the toasty, dark or grassy end of the spectrum than on the sweet, to me.

Blends leaning to a lot of reds are your best bet.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've been looking for an uncased, untopped virginia blend
Unless you grow it yourself, there's no such thing. All commercially available tobaccos are cased.

Try an ounce or so of Newminster 400 Navy Flake. Sweet, economical and .. flakey...
:)
That one's got a honey topping, but is very good.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Unfortunately I haven't tried that many straight Virginias.
From what I have tried, MacBaren Virginia #1 is my favourite.
It does have a very light sweet topping that adds to the Va's natural sweetness.

Reactions: dcon and BROBS

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I've been looking for an uncased, untopped virginia blend that is considered "sweet" by the masses. I like the virginias I've smoked, but I can't say I consider them as sweet as others claim they are.

For straight VA the Gawith blends you're smoking are about as sweet any I can think of--particularly FVF. It's generally a subtle kind of sweetness; not cupcake sweet. It's more something you notice over time and it might depend on the pipe you're using and how you smoke. Try directing the smoke to different areas of your tongue to detect different flavors.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Mar 1, 2014
Needs Age.
Even if you can't taste it, the smell coming out of a jar of two year old Virginia blend will probably be enough to convince you that you are tasting it (smell being most of what we experience in "Taste").

Cellar a jar of reputable Virginia blend three or four times a year for two years, then after time is up you'll get to see what age does to flavor at every stage.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mar 1, 2014
No artificial flavoring in that one.

If Elizabethan Match is actually free of toppings then it's just outright the best Virginia blend I've ever smoked (with the caveat it's actually a VaPer not just Virginia, but most people don't significantly differentiate between the two).

In my tasting notes the flavor of Elizabethan Match is described as "almost cloying".

Last edited:

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
It's taken me the better part of 5 years to barely starting to really understand the nuances of various tobaccos. Depth of knowledge only comes through time and experience. I still consider myself a nube as compared to most of you salty dogs.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Don't listen to people that tell you it tastes like 'hay' or 'freshly cut grass' or 'a fresh loaf of bread' etc...no one, i'm sure, has ever smoked hay, grass or bread (and I grow hay for a living). Sweet is a relative term...if what you are smoking tastes sweeter than an untopped uncased burley, then its sweet, if it doesn't, it's not. 90% of what I smoke are pure or nearly pure virginias and they do tend to be relatively sweeter on average than other types of leaf...that's about the size of it...it's not rocket science.

Status
Not open for further replies.