PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I remember candy cigarettes & bubble gum cigars from when I was a kid. Today, I took my kids a couple towns over to the new novelty store, "Sweets & Geeks." While perusing the candies section of the store we stumbled across these licorice pipes. How about that?

Anyone else ever see any pipe related treats such as these?

Respectfully,
Chris

Attachments

• 20210709_124105.jpg
    20210709_124105.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210709_134906.jpg
    20210709_134906.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 17

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh yes. The bubble gum cigars are often bright pink, just like most bubble gum. And the licorice pipes had a little airway so you could take a couple puffs before chewing them up. There used to be sugar candie cigarettes that looked a little like sticks of chalk, with a dab of red at the end to represent it being lit. My dad got us into buying licorice root, the actual part of the plant, that we chewed to shreds, kind of like we were smoking a succulent cigar. We'd buy licorice root at the local drug store where it was supplied as some kind of therapeutic herb.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This reminds me about 15 years ago there where people complaining about the campus convince stores (which while open to the public aren't advertised to anyone but students and staff) selling candy cigarettes. What was funny was that a bunch of professors had to write opinion pieces on how stupid it is to think candy cigarettes would change the behavior or imprinting of an adult person.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
OK, I admit it. I'm 49 now, but when I was a kid, I loved me some Big League Chew, gum which came in a tobacco-style pouch and the gum-style cigarettes. Not that I look for them now, but I would bet they are frowned upon as they may lead to children smoking. Ironically, I've always hated cigarettes, preferring pipes -- first at 19 and we haven't stopped since -- or cigars on the golf course because they're easier.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
OK, I admit it. I'm 49 now, but when I was a kid, I loved me some Big League Chew, gum which came in a tobacco-style pouch and the gum-style cigarettes. Not that I look for them now, but I would bet they are frowned upon as they may lead to children smoking. Ironically, I've always hated cigarettes, preferring pipes -- first at 19 and we haven't stopped since -- or cigars on the golf course because they're easier.
We're close to the same age. I liked Big Leage Chew as well. I picked up some of that too. ?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I was trying to remember the names of the brands of candy cigarettes, but the only one I can think of was "Pell Mell"

I remember the bubble gum cigars, too.

Big League Chew was really cool as well. I think former ballplayer and author Jim Bouton was the inventor. It is actually a pretty good idea. The chewing of tobacco was so intrinsically linked to baseball that a gum product that emulated the packaging, shredded cut, etc. in a pretty safe alternative for kids seemed like a welcome idea. I remember getting pouches before games. Eventually, I switched over to sunflower seeds but I still have fond memories of the chew.

Never had a candy pipe. What are they, about the size of a Manduela? :LOL:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I was trying to remember the names of the brands of candy cigarettes, but the only one I can think of was "Pell Mell"

I remember the bubble gum cigars, too.

Big League Chew was really cool as well. I think former ballplayer and author Jim Bouton was the inventor. It is actually a pretty good idea. The chewing of tobacco was so intrinsically linked to baseball that a gum product that emulated the packaging, shredded cut, etc. in a pretty safe alternative for kids seemed like a welcome idea. I remember getting pouches before games. Eventually, I switched over to sunflower seeds but I still have fond memories of the chew.

Never had a candy pipe. What are they, about the size of a Manduela? :LOL:
I was never much into sports but there was a period where I thought baseball players where chewing big league. Then again because of a miscommunication I thought the NFL draft worked like the military's draft. Thought there were people in Canada hiding from playing football at threat of jail.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
They changed the name to Fad’s in the 90’s (gee I wonder why), not sure if still available in Australia, seriously doubt it but wouldn’t be surprised if they are and just taxed to hell, as is the way down here.
E8B002A2-638F-4BDE-AF6E-136000E73267.jpeg

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
So, were those candy cigarettes actually made from drywall spackle (joint compound)?
I remember them having such a peculiar taste, with a gritty chalkiness to them.

Maybe JimInks should do a review. He's more articulate... "There's an earthy, woodiness with a little tang from the chalk..."
?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A book of magic tricks I had as a kid showed how to roll a cigarette paper out of blank paper and then use a wad of crinkled red foil to give it it burning end, with a spot of glue applied to put in actual cigarette ash, with the red foil glowing through, to complete the effect. It wasn't candy, but it was for kids fantasizing about smoking cigarettes. The "burning" tip was fairly convincing.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob