PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Well boys and girls since you have all been playing nicely at Universal Imports sand pit here are a few pipes I have added to my rotation. The top one belonged to the grandfather of a famous jockey who won the kentucky Derby and is in great condition with tight fitting amber stem and no chatter on the stem. The others are a selection of late 19th century pipes with early 1900's repairs. They all smoke very well and fit in well with my rotation. I have a few more I would like to add this year but I would need a bigger home and office to accommodate this ever expanding family!
pipes_02_Aug_2014_02_zpsddd388a5.jpg

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
very cool looking pipes. I dont have any like that, they would be a cool addition to the collection.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@smeigs when you have been buying them for 30 odd years I sometimes wonder why I have so many! Actually the price of plain 'cutty' pipes has got crazy of recent with prices tipping the $300 mark and is the exact opposite to how it was in the 1980's when carved pipes were going for crazy money!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
These meerschaums and most that I own were modeled on the clay 'cutty' pipes of the 1880's. This type of pipe had a 'foot' as it was known and was used to hold a hot clay pipe between the thumb and fore finger while smoking. This style continued on into the carved meerschaum pipes of the late nineteenth century. You can see the evolution of meerschaum 'cutty' pipes over the course of the last forty odd years of the nineteenth century. I have posted many pictures of pipes from my rotation here on the forum and I am happy to do it again. I trust this answers fully your question.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Fantastic selection of pipes Condor.

As for the foot on a clay, I have heard this was originally part of the clay pipe molds for "squeeze out" of extra clay when the molds were clamped. Makes sense to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a textbook photo on how Meerschaums color over time. Otherwise we see them in their pure

white new state as offered for sale. I don't "do" Meerschaums because it will be a whole new PAD.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The earlier clays had a flat 'foot' on them so they could rest on the table and that squeeze out you mention is shown here
pipe_01_zps43dc1e5a.png

The fellow with the long amber stem on the left on my pile of work pipes has the flat 'foot' and forward inclined bowl of the 1860's
bowl_pipes_zpsc1c76005.jpg

The clay at the bottom shows the simple foot used to hold a very hot pipe.
IMG-20140207-00114_zpsb2784e0d.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thanks Hawke. They averaged me $50 a pop without my needing to send them to Tim West for the obligatory overhaul from some nimrod messing up the threads of the shank in the last 100 odd years! The bottom one I intend to Condor to death as someone has been smoking some horrible aromatic or should I say acrobatic garbage in it. Ten bowls of Condor should fix that problem in short order!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@trailboss The top one can as it came with a letter about the grandfather whose son won the Kentucky Derby in the 1950s. Its a very special pipe that has been lightly smoked. I have an Oscar Schindler pipe as well that was a gift to me many years ago and I never smoke it as it just would not feel right. Somewhere in the UK at my Mothers house I have one of Tony Benn's well used pipes that he gave me as gift in the early 1980s along with a letter on House of Commons letter head.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@mrenglish what would you like to see? Remember I have four London straws down at Tim West's for over haul. Let me see what I can throw together for you to see as to get them into a picture I will have to take them out of their cases if thats alright with you. :puffy:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@mrenglish you wanted to see more pipes, well here are a selection from the mid 19th century until the mid 1980s. The one from the mid 1980s is in the form of meerschaum billiard I purchase in I think 1985 and cost me almost 1/4 of a weeks wages. I was smoking dottles for about a week after but the pipe is almost thirty years old and has given amazing service. The rest are my run of the mill rotation and these pipes are my working pipes which number about 20 odd pipes for a three week rotation. I hope you enjoy the picture.
all_pipes_zps8f5c8ea9.jpg

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Wow, those are nice!!
Thanks for posting the pictures! I might just have to look into getting a cutty here soon. Do you travel with these? If so, how do they hold up to the hustle and bustle?

Status
Not open for further replies.