PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Originally in my experiments I shunned the condimental Amounts and went for more big and bold flavours like a large percentage Kentucky, latakia and/or perique. Even forgoing Virginia all together with some English blends (lat, oriental, perique. Possibly with Kentucky too). But Ive started to see the appeal in condimental amounts of leaf. Most of the time for me this means Virginia based, stoved virginia as I'm not much into unstoved, and mostly black stoved as that's been my jam lately.

Some newest blends:

Va/ky/per:
- 75% black stoved Virginia
- 10% black stoved Kentucky(cased with maple syrup and bourbon)
-15% perique
Pressed into a plug or crumble cake, sometimes topped with tonka bourbon

Va/ky/lat:
-
80% black stoved Virginia
- 10% black stoved Kentucky(cased with maple syrup and bourbon)
- 10% Latakia
Pressed into crumble cake or just thin ribbon shag

Maybe it's the hot weather and maybe I went overboard with my 40% perique vaper, but I'm enjoyed the subtle richness of these milder blends.

So what constitutes a condimental amount? I would say 15% max, but 10% seems about right to still taste each tobacco, which I prefer. Any less seems hard to get a good consistency for a ribbon cut and works better for plugs. What do you think? What do you do in your own blends?

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I don't blend, but what I will say is I have found that I prefer leaf such as DFK and often these days Latakia in condimental amounts (with the exception of the occasional balls to the walls english blend).

Perique I do like a little more, and enjoy blends as high as 25%.

The number I imagine when someone says "condimental" I usually think around 10% or less, FWIW.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I've been enjoying blends that use latikia as condiment rather than the main show. I find mixtures of burley with a bit latikia kind of fascinating right now. Morley's Best got me interested in this approach but now I'm exploring Inns of Court and Adagio..

Reactions: chopper