PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
When I refer to American style aros, I mean blends that are much more heavily cased then, say, the Danish ones. MacBaren Mixture is an aro, but the casing is fairly light. MacBaren makes a distinction between their 7 Seas line, which they call American style,and their other blends.
Please note, I am not much of an aro smoker, so I may not be the best judge!

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
When you are trying new tobacco's. Just get the smallest amount to try out. Some online tobacco stores give samples. I've discovered some great blends with samples. They give you some samples to try if you ask them. They want your business. Have something in mind, ask them for a sample of it.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
rlunderhill, I've been considering it. I guess I just need to start trying some different things, because honestly, I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. I couldn't really describe it to anyone. I guess that's what happens to all smokers; you just start puffing away until you find it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have two blends open all the time, Sean,Peterson Old Dublin and Murdock's Pipe by McCranie. Evrything else rotates.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
A friend of mine has said that Peterson Old Dublin is beyond excellent. I will have to try some on Saturday if anyone has any open. Or maybe I can just order it. What's the worst that can happen, right?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It is a solid, "all day" sort of English blend. I personally like it better than Squadron Leader, which gets hyped all over this forum, and better than any of the comparable Dunhills - 965, London, or Standard.

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Glad I found this post. I had no idea there were two brands with the same name. I must try both as I have the bulk Blue Note and I like it but maybe Dan Tobacco is even better?

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
The bulk is probably the Altadis. I like it, a lot. I tried a smoke of the Dan Tobacco and it's definitely different. There is something there, and I don't know what it is. Still smooth though.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I just looked, and yes, they have the Dan Tobacco Blue Note in bulk. It's $40 for 8 oz. Altadis Blue note is $17 for 8 oz. Just a tiny bit of difference,there!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I love Dans Blue Note and have never had altadis. Most of the altadis blends I have had are terrible.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Anyone hear about blue note and all dan tobacco about to be hard to get?
From Reddit:

I started pipe smoking in college. I picked up a tin of Bluenote at my local tobacco shop. I told the attendant that I liked aromatics and I left with this. Its my FAVORITE. No other aromatic comes close. Then one day I walked into my shop and they said that Dan Tobacco had some "shady business practices" and that most businesses in the old US of A wouldn't be importing anymore.
So the question is - was the guy blowing smoke or is there something going on?

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Yes something about the importer, I can't put my finger on it. I tried everywhere last month, as fast it comes it goes. I think Smoking Pipes and P&C might have it in bulk though!

Status
Not open for further replies.