PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
New user to the forum here. And well, I don't smoke all of the time, so I'm fairly "green" when it comes to knowledge of pipes and the such. I do however have a fascination with Blue Note. I've tried quite a few aromatics thus far, and Blue Note seems to be my main thing.
My question to you, (the web community), is what else is in the same area of flavor as Blue Note? And not just aromatics in general, but I mean, what else can I try from your personal experience that has the same tone as Blue Note? My local shop has a house blend called Peach Note, and it's pretty good. But that's about it. And no one else seems to have any good suggestions for aromatics. Any help or input would be, much appreciated.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Welcome to the forum, daytonsean.
I haven't tried Blue Note, but here's some advice for what it's worth.
1. Try lots of blends and don't limit yourself to aromatics. Try also some Burley blends, some Virginias or Virginia/Perique blends and some Latakia blends.
2. Beware of comparing blends or trying to find similar blends. For many that is a way to disappointment. For me, it is best to take each blend on its own merits.
3. Don't let anyone tell you what you will like. Our tastes vary too much for that. But I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions here.
Luxury Tobacco Reviews can be helpful. They have all the tobaccos listed by category.
Good luck on your hunt.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
+1 to what Philip said and welcome to the forums.
To answer your questions...
I recomend 1Q. The light Raisen sweetness is there. I originally started with Blue Note, but the supply of Blue Note is come and go so I went to 1Q and never went back. Be careful thinking just becasue a blend has a similar name that the taste will be similar. Lots of local shops will re-name a common blend in the hopes the buyer will come back, thinking the ony place to get it is in their shop.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Blue note is my favorite aromatic. CAO Moontrance is very similar so you might want to check it out.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Never had Blue Note, but +1 on the 1-Q.
Some other good, yet mild, aromatics in my rotation are:

Lane Limited MV-1000: A Virginia with a light vanilla-like topping

AC Peterson Mark Twain: Very similar to 1-Q, but a bit better imho
For stronger aromatics I stick with:

Cornell and Diehl Autumn Evening: A maple topping

MacBaren Vanilla Cream Loose Cut: As you expected.. strong vanilla
Besides that, I second what Philip said.. explore ! The world is your oyster !

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Philip, thank you for the input. Sometimes when I go into the local store here I get bogged down with just, everything really. I will take some of those basics and create a starting point to try other blends. I have tried some Burleys, but nothing that's really caught my attention. But I know there are probably thousands of blends out there, so I'll keep hunting.
Thanks to the rest for the suggestions. I'll see if I can find some 1-Q. Not sure if my local shop carries it. I might just have to break down and make an internet order if I can't find it.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
daytonsean
Ask you local shop. I almost bet you if they have bulk baccy sitting in jars they have it. Just under a different name. We had a tread a while back that listed all the different names different shops had listed it under. Lawrence, our residint 1Q addict (and favorite mod) is usually pretty quick with the list.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I'll be back in there on Saturday afternoon, I will ask them if they have anything just under a different name. I see you can order it on pipesandcigars.com. I'll look for that thread with the other names. Thanks.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Which Blue Note? I know of two - one from Dan Tobacco, and one from Altadis' Tobacco Galleria line.
danbluenote.jpg

a1235733331.jpg

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
It has to be the Altadis bulk, because they don't carry it in the tin. Just in bulk form. I'll ask them what brand it is the next time I'm in there.

machurtado

Lurker
Jun 12, 2012
I would suggest you try the Dan tobacco blue not and devils holiday those are two of my favorites for aros. I have just recently started getting into the boswell blends and those are also very good.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
McClelland Top Quality Gold & Toasted, I find this aro to be very flavorful and very tasty...Similar to 1Q but better.
2nd the Boswell, they have many great blends
As for the devils holiday, my tin lasted a very long time, I just didn't care for it, for me it was a bit to strong (as in berry flavor) for a aro
Blue not in the tin, was one of the first tobaccos I tried, and I usually have a tin on had

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
hmmm Dan tobacco is great. Is the other similar?
I have never tried the Dan Tobacco version. I can, however,comment on the TG version.
The Tobacco Galleria blends are typical American style Aromatics, except for Fox & Hound, which is an English. I have tried them all, when I got a sampler from Altadis that was much bigger than the ones they do know. I thought that Blue Note was at least smokeable, unlike the rest of the aros. Admittedly, I am a guy who does not like American style aros, so keep that in mind - YMMV. (I intend to toss some F&H in the box pass when it resurfaces.)

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I'll order the Dan tobacco Devil's Holiday and Blue Note to try it. I really like the Tobacco Galleria Blue Note. And my local shop house a blend of it, (not sure what they add to it), and it's called Peach Note. It's like insane sweet tasting, but pretty good.
Jud, what's the difference between the American style aros and other kinds?

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I also like Blue Note and I have found that I also like Montego Bay (although they both bite a little) and the followIng (which don't)
Mac Baren Seven Seas (Royal and Regular, so far)

Mclelland Town Talk and Best of Show
It took me many years for my tastes to evolve in cigars. I'm having a ton of fun finding it in pipes (about a year in).

Status
Not open for further replies.