PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Yep. Though worried what will be the repercussions of the “puto” chant. (*I know it has regional meanings, so my buddy from Laguna says it means one thing, my buddy from Jalisco says it means another).
You know it’s going to be chanted, will FIFA ban them from World Cup? I know they threatened it.
Hopefully, it’ll be as thrilling as their hookup about a month ago.

Reactions: Pancho

Pancho

Lurker
Jul 5, 2021
Mexico City, Mexico
So right to the 800 pound gorilla in room. I’m afraid you are right, the expression will be chanted no matter what the consequences. The more pressure the outside agencies bring to bear the more the fans will refuse… if only to spite everyone.

I am too old to get worked up over this and would prefer that the fans find another chant. But in the off chance FIFA does not allow Mexico in the tournament, I will always have baseball and my Diablos Rojos.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
So right to the 800 pound gorilla in room. I’m afraid you are right, the expression will be chanted no matter what the consequences. The more pressure the outside agencies bring to bear the more the fans will refuse… if only to spite everyone.

I am too old to get worked up over this and would prefer that the fans find another chant. But in the off chance FIFA does not allow Mexico in the tournament, I will always have baseball and my Diablos Rojos.
I’m from a different era of fans. Players were used to verbal harangues. As long as they weren’t tossing things at players (which I’ve seen many a time, including batteries and glass bottles), or jumping on the playing surface, I generally don’t care.
Maybe I’m a dinosaur, but it just seems weak to make this big a deal.?‍♂️ Getting to the point where you won’t be able to boo cause it’ll hurt someone’s feelings. (Honestly heard that suggested about a week ago over on ESPN.)

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Pancho

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
A solid match. Lots of opportunities, and lots of missed chances. Great service for the header. Only downer was seeing a couple assclowns toss water bottles at the US players after the game. I don’t mind voicing your displeasure, but when you start tossing items at players, that’s where I draw the line.