PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
Greetings,
I just upgraded my computer with a new (1) Cpu, (2) motherboard, and (3) Ram. As soon as I boot up, BIOS reports that my CPU is running extremely hot (94° F). The Cool Master Hyper 212 is on and I put thermal paste on the CPU.
My questions:

(1) Why is the CPU running so hot?

(2) Why do I need to switch the power supply to 115w instead of 230w in order for the monitor to display a signal?
Specs:
Mobo: Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Series 8-Core

Fan: Cool Master Hyper 212 EVO

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb DDR3 CL10 DIMM

Video: Sapphire Ulimate Radeon HD 6670 1gb 128-bit GDDR5 PCI(E) 2.0 x16

Power Supply: Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W (9years old)
Thanks to anyone who can offer advice. This is the first time that I have encountered a new CPU running so hot!!! :evil:

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Well, right off the top of my head I would wonder how the CPU reaches "extremely hot" immediately after booting? It has not done any real work yet!
Is 94° indeed extremely hot? I mean touch yourself--- your body is about 98.6.
So the question you must answer is whether the CPU is actually overheating or if the BIOS is getting an error signal reporting so. You really need to have the computer in hand I would think, especially as you just put the chip in.
Lastly, in Q2: I think you are intending to say the P/S is to run at 115 volts instead of 230, rather than watts, that is, if you are in the USA.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I wondered about 94 being too hot as well Toobfreak. Seems 115 or higher would be a problem. No idea what half the specs mean. But that has never stopped me before. :) If everything is compatible then double check all wiring connections. Make sure none are reversed, loose, or damaged. Make sure the heat sink is seated properly. Clean all the dust out of it. Make sure the fan is spinning properly. Thermal paste does nothing if there is no heat sink for the CPU to be pasted to. You may need a larger heat sink or more effective arrangement. You shouldn't need extra power, so it is going somewhere it should not, or not going somewhere it should. When in doubt, shut it off, unplug it from the wall for ten minutes, plug it back in and start it up. That's all I got. Best of luck to you. :puffy:

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Seems 115 or higher would be a problem.
Right. Most CPU's when they are "hot" are hot enough to burn your finger. Ouch.
It the CPU properly seated on the board? Is the conductive paste in the right places and doing its job?
Is the proper heat sink properly attached?
Is the fan doing its job?
Is the sensor (board connected or wherever) connected right and giving the proper signal?
The fact that you just replaced the chip and are being told it is overheating seems more than coincidental.
You don't want to burn it up; make sure you are wearing a proper wrist strap while touching stuff.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Take out the cpu, remove the thermal paste (too much can cause this problem) and re-install using much less paste.

butsiethesungo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2016
Broussard, LA
Thank you all for the feedback.
I will remove the thermal paste and reapply, perhaps I did put too much. Everything is new, except the powersupply so I dont understand why it is registering at 94. Perhaps the BIOS is getting an error signal as toobfreak suggested. Yes, I meant to say 115v not 230v. Any idea why the monitor will only get a signal at 115v and not 230v? That is very confusing to me.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Too much thermal paste is a myth that has been debunked many times. As long as it is not a crazy amount causing it to gush out of the slot and onto the board you are fine. Most of the time you need to think in Celsius when dealing with computer parts. 94f is only 34.4c and a pretty good temp for idle and your cooler you have installed. Under load you can reach up to about 80c before there really is throttling and 100c before damage. If you are worried download a program like realtemp and stress test it with prime95 to see how hot you really get under load.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If you're in the US, you want 115v as your setting as far as I know. Tarheel1's comment seems accurate. I would swap out the power supply and see what happens.

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
Can you change the warning temp in the bios? Your mb may just be set to warn too low. Try hwmonitor from cpuid and see what it says the temp actually is. It will also tell you how fast your fan is a tally going

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Are you in the US? Then your power supply should be set to match the outlet voltage, which is most likely 115v. Setting it to 230v (while the input remains 115v) will result in insufficient voltage outputs from the PSU, which would be why your display card doesn't function.
The CPU temp question has been well attended to already. Just be sure that you don't have silver thermal paste oozing onto the CPU socket or mobo causing shorts and bridges. Be very careful when removing or reseating the CPU if there is a lot of thermal paste flaking off of it. The CPU temp sensor in in the CPU itself. A tiny fleck of conductive thermal paste on the CPU socket can spell disaster, including incorrect CPU temp readings.
I recommend War Horse Green when doing computer surgery.
Also, did you save that nifty sticker that came with the new CPU? Be sure to put it on your car's passenger left window. It will add another .5 GHz to your car's ECU and cut 2 seconds from your 0-60.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
My temps right now are around 114 F at idle. I consider that low. When I'm playing a graphically rich computer game the temps can go 140 F or higher. Most CPUs will automatically throttle down when they get too hot.
Years ago, when I built PCs with AMD CPUs i noticed they did tend to run hot. I'm not sure what the situation is today, but it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about.
CPU Information Link
As someone else mentioned, see if you can set the warning threshold higher so you aren't annoyed.
You can install a motherboard/CPU/graphics card temperature monitoring app from here:
Open Hardware Temp Monitor
That will show your cooling fan speeds as well so you can make adjustments if desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.