PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Now,if anybody would have a word or general opinion on this:do these two brands Italian Savinelli,and France Chacom

pipes equal both in craftmanship and quality?Retailing prices seem pretty much the same for both products,nevertheless I shall point out based on my own experience old time Chacoms were some better in quality,but nowadays this seems be a common rule with any given pipe manufacturer,Yet to my great surprice my Italian made new Stanwells(Dukes and Royal Guard serie) all were flawless in every aspect.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Trying to suss out which are the most reliable manufacturers with products we can buy with confidence, can be challenging.

Just as in tobacco blends, varietals, or blending houses, each offers subtle differences.

Loyalty to a brand can be the result of a lack of exposure to others, which might offer the same, or even better satisfaction.

If a 'house' has history, has survived, it is likely offering something of value.

What makes a Sav different from a Chacom? That is what I'd like to understand. Briar? Stem material or typical cut? Draft? Finish? Taste? Consistency?

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
These are two good solid choices. I have both. I like both. More erudite members could hopefully answer the question of the significant differences beyond county of origin. I would like to know more as noted in the above post.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Savenelli makes an impressive array of pipes at a wide range of prices, especially if you include their Rossi brand which has many of the same shapes as the main brand, and Sav's unfinished pipe prices. Sav's are dependably well-made. You can use them with or without their balsa filters, or with an adapter to focus the draw. I have a dozen or more Sav's, and I have never been disappointed. I have them from the below $40 new to about $260 on a gift pipe. Dollar for dollar, however, it is difficult to beat French pipes. They are equally well crafted to the Sav's, and originated many of the shapes and the use of briar itself that typify English pipes, and have a pipe-making community at St. Claude of pride and rigor that doesn't indulge in brand-building as does Dunhill and some of the other British pipes that lead to overpricing to an outlandish degree. To a beginner trying to choose between the brands, I'd say, if you can fall in love with a Chacom, buy it. Which ever brand you buy first, I'd make the other brand one of your first five or six briar pipes (or second or third). Both great brands with much to recommend them. You won't be dissatisfied with either. One Forums member reported buying a few Sav's as car pipes and being greatly displeased, but this is a member who collects in the stratosphere of artisanal pipes, so a factory pipe might not quite provide the experience. For me, these two marques are solid recommendations.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
All Right Mr MSO489, Thank you for this your detailed and specific information,Yes by today I have three Savis, Chacom and few Petes, That of Chacom and Savinelli are equally pretty much same leavel and great smokers from first bowl,nevertheless when we are taking a look at the med price range of contemporary Peterson pipes, I have coming to realize (after having good and bad experience in my past)That Peterson pipes as a rule have some more robust and sturdy feel in them,yet they definitely require a much longer broke in period,and finally may have some minor quality issue as with finishing and craftmenship,the most frequent inperfections of which I had come across are as following;The bowl fills and steam line/fitting and shape issues, this all lead me to think that peterson had recently taken a brand new employees in them payrolls with lesser experience in this pipe-making art

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just thought to bring to your consideration a pretty interesting french web site,pipe.fr there are some interesting old school traditional french pipe brand & shapes available such as Jeantet St Claude, Genod and other, prices are average and they offer international shipping for their pipes,

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've got a Chacom and a couple Sav's. They are of comparable quality. The only one downside for me of the Chacom is the draw is considerably tighter than the Sav. I can't pass a fluffy pipe cleaner though it.
I was worried the Ropp I just bought would be the same but it's draw is more like a Sav. I have no problem passing a fluffy pipe cleaner through the Ropp and for $45 I'm super happy with it.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Fitzy, nice to hear bout this chance since I'm just waiting my little prince type Jeantet St Claude to arrive, yes I've been noticing with most all of my French made ones the draw / air flow is somewhatr tighter /more restricted in comparition to Stanwells or Petersons,

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Now and then there are a problems with moulded stems.

I cut off about 60 mm long and 3 mm wide emery cloth. Then I fold it and then

twist it into the stem at the bite.It sometimes helps

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I've owned both in the past couple of years. Chacom pipes are ok, pretty much getting what you pay for. Savinelli's are a much better value for the money IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.