PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Cool , I have some Latakia and other bits left over , good idea to leave them to age .

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I don't mean to imply that I only cellar whole leaf. My suggestion is to cellar cut, processed tobacco, like Sutliff RC-1 and P&C's blending Oriental/Turkish stuff.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Ok , raw tobacco leaf , cut and sealed in Mylar or mason jars.
No casings?

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Not at all. How dry was it? What shipped in (thickness of bag; retailer)?
Smoking pipes, and just regular plastic zip bag. I do live far outside US and mail takes 3 weeks to get here (regular shipping).
By cellar I meant buy 1-2 pounds and jar it, put it in a cool closet, smoking it as it ages over the course of next few years

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Ok , raw tobacco leaf , cut and sealed in Mylar or mason jars.

No casings?
The blending components: Virginia, Oriental, Turkish, Latakia. Some have casings and flavorings (most Virginia's do) some do not. You could make a fine English blend with what P&C offers:

2v2JyQE9gx3L6Bn.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How dry was it? What shipped in (thickness of bag; retailer)?
Smoking pipes, and just regular plastic zip bag. I do live far outside US and mail takes 3 weeks to get here (regular shipping).
Even within one retailer, bag thickness can vary a bunch. But three weeks in a thin-ish bag in who knows what conditions (temp, humidity) might dry quite a bit.
But how dry is dry? Not a facetious question, and maybe unanswerable.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
But how dry is dry? Not a facetious question, and maybe unanswerable.
You know when you open the bag/jar and immediately smell latakia, it is dry enough that you barely smell anything.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Lancer's slices all the way! Additionally, I find Peretti's Oriental #40 to be a touch more satisfying than Star of the East.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I basically follow Russ' advice on this. I make no attempt whatsoever to cellar lat blends. I won't attempt to suggest blends to buy in large quantities, since it is obvious the OP and I expect different things from our blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.