Comoy's The Everyman London Pipe Meerschaum...Maybe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Good afternoon everyone,
I recently ran across this pipe and couldn't resist buying it; it just pulled at me. The problem is I'm not sure what I have. I believe it to be black African meerschaum. I'm not sure of the stem material either. To complicate things, there are no markings anywhere on the pipe. The pipe came in an Everyman London Pipe box. Written on the box was the price 1.25 (dollars, pound?), meerschaum and possible the original owners name. Any help in identifying this pipe would be appreciated!
Mau

the-everyman-london-pipe-7-150x112.jpg

the-everyman-london-pipe-box-1-150x112.jpg

Aug 26, 2018
Dallas, Texas
Wow I can tell you right now you have a gorgeous pipe! I'm sure someone will pipe :D up with some information or a source of where to go for more information. Not sure how to enlarge the pictures either but that might help with identifying it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not sure if the box is a clue or a red herring. I don't associate "London" pipes with Meerschaum in general, but maybe a London company marketed them. Looks like a fun mystery to solve. Although some Forum historian might make short work of it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A random question: Did the Meerschaum start out darker or did it just color that deeply?

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Seems to be more of a meerschaum pipe that has been colored by smoking for many years. I do not think its african. But typically african meer is (denser) heavier than turkish meer. I don't think the box is very helpful on this.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
A fine old turkish meerschaum and an older Everyman box, not often seen. No connection between pipe and box.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What sort of tenon has it?
Please select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
As you can tell from my post count, I'm a newbie on this site and in the pipe world. But both are addictive.
Texasfiremedic: Thanks, I'm pretty impressed with the pipe as well. I'll be adding more pictures.
Mso: It is a mystery, isn't it? I haven't seen another meerschaum like it. The shape strikes me as British but I agree with you and others that the box may have nothing to do with it. I think the pipe is black, with caramel colouring from smoking. I believe it's African meerschaum " Tanganyika Meerschaum is normally stained in shades of brown, black and yellow".
Jpm/Jay: Jpm, thanks for enlarging the picture. I'm not that adept with the picture thingy, but will try and get it right with the next ones. I'll post pictures of the tenon soon!
Mau

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
JP, I tried following your instructions but the option wasn't there? I imported the pictures to my album here in Pipesmagazine and pasted them in the URL.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I would say with 75% certainty that is an amber stem with some early kind of acrylic threaded connector which is likely glued into the stem. George Dibos would be the man to ask for more details.
Just my tuppence worth :puffy:
Does the stem feel slightly warm to touch?
Regards,
Jay.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Jay, I don't notice particularly that the stem is warm to the touch but then again my hands always seem a little cold.
Thanks
Mau

Status
Not open for further replies.