PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Here's a lovely little Sandblast that gets added to the inbox in the Pipe Cave.
If the chip in the tars in the rim (at 9:00 in the top down picture of the chamber) isn't a crack, then I'm happy with my $15 + shipping snipe. If it is a fatal flaw, then I at least get to practice cleaning up another pipe.
Photos are the vendor's.

-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Nice score Pat, I saw that pipe and figured my resto skills weren't good enough. Congrats.
Thanks Tim. The rim is going to be fun. If I've done my research correctly the Sandblast rims were blasted, and not smooth and beveled like the Pebblegrain pipes. I am hopeful that those tars have preserved the rim but if it is as knocked about as it appears to be it will be a gut jump to determine how to redeem it.
-- Pat

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Pat, my concern wasn't the rim, that can be dealt with. My concern was that the bowl looked like a campfire had been cooking inside. The exterior looks almost burned out, but it might just be a filthy pipe in need of some good cleaning.
Either way, nice score or nice practice pipe!!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
My concern was that the bowl looked like a campfire had been cooking inside. The exterior looks almost burned out, but it might just be a filthy pipe in need of some good cleaning.
Maybe I'm just operating with higher levels of hope at Christmastime. :puffy:
But I see what you're seeing. I'm thinking that the external discolouration is accumulated filth; and that the bowl is heavily caked. Cross your fingers for me!
-- Pat

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, you snipped me, but I'm glad you won it. I thought it had some good potential, but I would have resold it, so it's better off in your collection. Keep us posted. I bought a Savory's from the same seller.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown

Damn!
That's my first friendly fire incident in a while. Sorry Al.
I am falling for this shape, I must say. Mike Parks was smoking one of his 120 inspired blasted swan necked billiards at our pipe club meet a couple weeks ago and it inspired this buy. I'll let you know how it cleans up.
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The crack at the rim looks superficial. I hope it cleans up well. Go slow with the reaming with this venerable pipe. Probably has a whole new life with you.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
The crack does look superficial but the thickness at the forward and rear of the bowl at the rim looks decidedly different. It may require some topping and then a touch up with a Dremel tool. Keep us posted on the resto. Wishing you good luck. Dutch

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Sage advice MSO and Dutch, although I'll be honest I bring a dremel near a pipe as often as I do a torch lighter. My hand just aint steady enough for that!
I am hoping that the reason the thickness of the bowl appears wonky is because the top of the rim is artificially raised due to cake/tar build up. I've seen this on a fair few well smoked pipes.
Regardless, the call for caution and slow going is wise.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.