PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Finally got around to working on the Comoy's Russet 215 estate pipe. It has cleaned up beautifully but before I sell it I need more information.

I've read that three digit Comoy's were made before Cadogan took over. Is this true or just a generalization?
Where does the Russet fit in with other Comoy's? I'm thinking the "Russet" is more of a designation of the finish rather than a line of pipes, but I am probably wrong.

This has the random letter stamped on the bottom of the shank near the stem. This one has a "V".

Undoubtedly, this is a replacement stem. It's acrylic and doesn't have a "C" on it.
Comoy_Russet_left.jpgComoy_Russet_Right.jpgComoy_Russet_stamp.jpg

Reactions: Casual

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The COM would get helpful, but I believe the Russet line was a Cadogan era finish.

Check the list of finishes on Pipedia, I believe those are all pre-Cadogan.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's a Russet with a V, the 1057 was a Cadogan era shape. Pretty rare finish it seems.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The COM would get helpful, but I believe the Russet line was a Cadogan era finish.

Check the list of finishes on Pipedia, I believe those are all pre-Cadogan.

COM?
I may have missed something on pipedia but I thought I read all 3-digit shapes were before Cadogan acquired Comoy's.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
COM?
I may have missed something on pipedia but I thought I read all 3-digit shapes were before Cadogan acquired Comoy's.
COM: Country of Manufacture stamp

Pre-cadogan shapes were both two and three digits. No list exists for Cadogan era shapes, so that is unknown. The Russet finish was not in any pre-Cadogan catalog or chart. The number of lines that Comoy's and GBD started after the merger seems endless.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
COM: Country of Manufacture stamp

Pre-cadogan shapes were both two and three digits. No list exists for Cadogan era shapes, so that is unknown. The Russet finish was not in any pre-Cadogan catalog or chart. The number of lines that Comoy's and GBD started after the merger seems endless.

It's almost like pipe companies think of the products as disposable items one person is going to buy and smoke it until they die or the pipe burns out.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It sounds like the Marketing department made a last ditch effort to save the brand with new finishes, but of a lower quality, which is always doomed to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.