PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
I was only aware of GBD Rock Roots, but I've recently spotted a pipe of the same name from Comoy's, too. The nomenclature says Made in England so it's probably an old production. Could anyone tell me more about this pipe?

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I've had one, with identical stamping. Mine had a stamped stem 'C' which would indicate 1980's or later production. Mine was also a clearly rusticated pipe, not sandblasted. The pipe you linked to above is very similar to what I had, including the brass band affixed to the stem.
They aren't common, but they aren't very collectible due to the time frame of manufacture, IMHO. Mine was a decent smoker, but nothing spectacular.
Doc

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Thanks. I'm nowhere near an expert, but aren't Comoy's pipes made in France or somewhere nowadays? I thought Made in England always meant it's an older production from their heydays... Please enlighten me.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
circular or rugby shaped 'MADE IN ENGLAND' stamps generally are understood to indicate a pipe made in the late thirties through the forties to early fifties. This linear MADE IN ENGLAND stamp is unrelated and does not indicate an era. My pipe, with identical stamping, has a stamped 'C' logo on the stem. That DOES indicate production in the eighties or later (there may be a couple of '70's pipes out there with that stem stamp- I haven't seen one).
Comoy's production did stay in the UK for a while after the perceived quality decline started in the eighties, but to be honest I think that the majority of pipes made in this era are just fine and represent good value on the estate market. They do not have the cachet of earlier pipes.
doc

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's what pre-Cadogan nomenclature (1981 or earlier) looks like. This is accompanied by the drilled C logo (vs stamped as Doc mentions)
comoys_331c_grand_slam_finish_10.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.