Comoy's Blue Ryband Extraordinaire Info...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
3 Fresh Bill Shalosky Pipes
36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Looking for any information on this pipe that was just re-finished by Anthony at Cooks. Thinking it's 1950's made?

brx309xl-206.JPG.jpg
brx309xl-037.jpg

brx309xl-204.JPG.jpg
brx309xl-205.JPG.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Yes, I would say 1950's. Fairly rare shape. Another thing that catches my eye is the shaping of the "shoulder" on the tenon. As this example shows, Anthony does fantastic work, esp. when it comes to stem "issues".

Aug 1, 2012
Here's what little I know. The nomenclature is pretty consistent with the era that spanned from the early 1950s to early 1980 (the year, not the decade). To narrow it down a bit, the metal insert in the stem is consistent with earlier pipes and is unlikely to have been in use much after the 1950s due to costs. Also, the shape of the tenon is not something I've seen often and in my opinion would make it an earlier pipe. That said, I would make the guess that it dates somewhere between 1950 and 1958.

EDIT: That's a great looking pipe and a great resto job. Enjoy it!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The metal reinforced tenon suggests 1950's to me as well (although I'm not sure that is definitively detailed in any catalog).
That is a rare shape and fantastic! Anthony's shop is not too far from me. One of these days I'm taking a road trip to witness this magic in person.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
The metal reinforced tenon suggests 1950's to me as well (although I'm not sure that is definitively detailed in any catalog).
That is a rare shape and fantastic! Anthony's shop is not too far from me. One of these days I'm taking a road trip to witness this magic in person.
I'd love to join you on that road trip, Al!

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Wow, great job. That thing is ginormous!
I know right? I am usually a small pipe guy. I'll have to see where the relationship goes. Thanks to Sable for giving me an opinion before the sale. Turned out great. Cannot wait to see it.

Thanks for the information. Betting early 50's as well.

Here is a link to Cooks if you want to check out some of his restorations.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpookedPiper
Status
Not open for further replies.