PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Picked up a nice old ('20s'-38 era) Comoy's second from Doug V. I'd never heard of it, & Doug himself said it was only the second one *he'd* ever seen. Nice billiard shape, with a rather unusual diamond shank & stem. Very nice resto job, as per Doug's well-deserved rep. Grain has some weak spots, but overall is quite nice for a second line. I'm really looking forward to smoking some Frigate in this one!
bearluck-1.jpg

bearluck-2.jpg

bearluck-3.jpg

Bill

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Yeah, I've been looking around at old Comoys like '40s-era Sunrises, etc., & ran across this one by sheer dumb chance. For Doug to say it was one even he wasn't really familiar with, I figured I had to jump on that sucker with all four feet. Smokes very well, too -- draws nearly as well as my Winslow, & *it* has the best draw I've experienced in a pipe ever, since I started smoking in '69. The stem tapers to a fairly narrow button, so it has a slightly unusual feeling in the mouth, but the esthetics fit the gentle slope of the shank/stem perfectly, so no way I'm complaining!
B

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Thanks, guys! This one's definitely going into my "special" rack for use as often as possible. Yeah, Mike, Al, agree in spades on both. The transition from bowl to button is as elegant as I think I've ever seen, & to have one this old in this condition was plain dumb luck for this old b'ar.
The really neat thing about it is that before sending it to me, Doug posted it to one of the featured spots on the Comoy pipedia page. Purty good for a second; I gots somethin' famous!! :)
B

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Great looking pipe, Bill! I just love old comoy's when I can find them. I have several in my rotation amid I don't think I have ever had a better smoking pipe. Congrats.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Thought I was familiar with most of the Comoy 2nds but Bearluck is new to me. Regardless, it's just a beautiful, classic shape. Delighted it smokes well for you!
Bill, what does the stamp say on the right side of the shank? From a distance, it resembles the traditional Comoy's "football."
Fnord

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Wow, that's a beaut, Bill - well done, sir! Much as I love the shape, the grain and the details, my favorite part is the name. May it bear you much luck and lots of great smokes!

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Very nice. We've been seeing more diamond shank billiards, but your's has a very affable cant to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.