PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've seen a few of these before, but I can't find out anything specific about the line. Typically, these "special edition" type Comoy's are post-Cadogn, with a one piece C insert. This one has a hallmarked 18k gold band for 1977. I learned that gold and silver hallmark dates are the same.
The gold band was a little beat up, but thanks to Cosmicfolklore, she looks great again (and he kept me from probably ruining the band!).
I believe this would have originally came with a tamper, but this one only had the box and red silk sleeve.
Full restoration details are here:

https://rebornpipes.com/2016/05/18/comoys-heritage-120-restored-1977/
Before
comoys_heritage_102_before-1.jpg

comoys_heritage_102_before-3.jpg

comoys_heritage_102_before-4.jpg

After
comoys_heritage_120_finish-1.jpg

comoys_heritage_120_finish-4.jpg

comoys_heritage_120_finish-2.jpg

comoys_heritage_120_finish-5.jpg

comoys_heritage_120_finish-6.jpg

comoys_heritage_120_finish-8.jpg

comoys_heritage_120_finish-3.jpg

comoys_heritage_120_finish-12.jpg

comoys_heritage_120_finish-11.jpg

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
From a catalog of which I have a photocopy. 1825-1975 The Comoy family this year celebrates 150 years of pipe-making...............

Heritage: Once in a while we come across a bowl so beautiful that we hate to part with it,almost preferring to lock it away for our own private pleasure.But when we do release these beauties,we give them a 22 ct.gold mount,a

hand cut mouthpiece and a casket to match.Deservedly rare and consequently expensive.

Each pipe carries it`s own serial number.
Under it on the same page:

Blue Riband: This is certainly our most beautiful pipe in regular production,sadly in very short supply............

Great pictures, a little too good. Did I leave those scratches, or did you wrap it in steel wool? Ha ha!

I love seeing the Comoy stem logo close up. Great picture there.
As a side note, the 750 stamped in the side is the way those Englanders designate 18k, which is a really good proportion of gold to copper.
That's one classy looking pipe. Congrats on a fine job.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Al, a beautiful restoration and a great addition to the collection. Cosmic did a great job on the band. Not an easy task to restore a band while preserving the hallmarks and your work always speaks for itself. Dutch

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
What's going on with the stem logo? Looks like a 'two piece' or something... maybe it's the angle. Either way - lovely piece and super resto job!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@jensen - thanks so much, I'll add that info to my file.
@cosmic - thanks again. We did chose to not go too far with the fragile band. I appreciate your time and expertise!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Gorgeous pipe Al! Glad you posted pics of the box and sleeve too. I have a Comoy's Celebration pipe, gold banded as well, but it is a little thing. That looks much meatier. Where'd you find it?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@jensen: I had though that the "120" stamp was the shape number,which is not a Comoy's shape. From your comment, I see that is probably the serial number. Is it possible for you to scan and post the catalog page? I cannot find that one online anywhere.
It seems that by 1977, they had switched from a 22c mount to an 18c piece.(the 750 stamp equates to 18k)
I'll update my Reborn Pipes blog entry with your info - thank you!
@Shantiques - an ebay seller had two of them, this one was in better shape of the two.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I originally bought this one out of curiosity and had intended to resell it. But the shape has really grown on me. It is decidedly different than the other catalog Bent Billiards (42, etc.) made by Comoys. So, it looks like she stays on the rack. Jensen was kind enough to have his wife scan and email me the catalog page he referenced.
heritage_line_catalog_info.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.