Comoy's 168 Old Bruyere Restoration (1920's pipe?)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This stout little beauty belongs to forum member Ashdigger. I had never seen this shape number, nor nomenclature before and initially thought the stem was a replacement. A little digging showed I was way off the mark. Full restoration details are on the Reborn Pipes site:

Before:

Comoys_168_Old_Bruyere_Before (1).JPGComoys_168_Old_Bruyere_Before (2).JPG

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Looks great!! You did a fantastic job. I never saw that COM. I have seen London made. Never made in London? Without England below.’ This is the first one I ever saw in person. Beautiful! My understanding is it’s from what I read it’s 1921 or there about

Last edited:
Reactions: kurtbob and jpmcwjr

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've restored a lot of Comoy's, this was certainly the oldest to cross my work bench. Its always a special treat to get to work on pipes like this one. I can't answer that COM question. I'd love to find a catalog page from that era, showing that shape number. The web wasn't giving up anything last night when I wrote the Reborn Pipes article.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Looks good Al. Nice to see a picture of the slot. To quote myself (Al and I were talking about this pipe a few days ago); It could be an older pre-C pipe (~1919), that's a possibility, esp. with that Made in London stamp. One of those pipes where the exception provides new information? Not sure when the Old Bruyere line started. Derek Green talks about an Old Bruyere from 1921 (I'm assuming hallmarked).

The pipe does look to be in excellent condition.

Last edited:

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Old Bruyere must be the odd one out. I recently seen one where Comoys was in a arch. Old font but the Com was made in London over England? My first thought was that doesn’t make sense. Arched Comoy and that Com are in different eras. I’m not sure. Stuff like this make me wonder how much we know.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Old Bruyere must be the odd one out. I recently seen one where Comoys was in a arch. Old font but the Com was made in London over England? My first thought was that doesn’t make sense. Arched Comoy and that Com are in different eras. I’m not sure. Stuff like this make me wonder how much we know.

I think the answere was the Comoy's Old Bruyere stamp was one stamp (I would say the same about the Comoy's Blue Riband stamp), so I think the same stamping was used both before and after the war. The one Old Bruyere I have, a 186 billiard, has the arched Old Bruyere marking, and the Made in London over England COM stamp.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Looks good Al. Nice to see a picture of the slot. To quote myself (Al and I were talking about this pipe a few days ago); It could be an older pre-C pipe (~1919), that's a possibility, esp. with that Made in London stamp. One of those pipes where the exception provides new information? Not sure when the Old Bruyere line started. Derek Green talks about an Old Bruyere from 1921 (I'm assuming hallmarked).

The pipe does look to be in excellent condition.
You are always my "go to" for validation! I'm little surprised that we don't have much sales literature from that 1920's era.

Reactions: ChuckMijo
Status
Not open for further replies.