PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
it's funny I've had some people approach me about the pipe and I think oh it's gonna be the time, and every time it's a story about grandpa or just how cool pipes are.
I walk to and from work part way bus the rest. I either prepack the pipes I want to smoke or bring a pouch with the tobacco and just load up when ready to go. The pouch acutually keeps the tobacco in much better shape then I thought it would. Even after a few days. But pre pack and wind cap does the trick.
Tip: A roll type pouch will keep tobacco better than a zipper pouch.... don't ask me why. puffy

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I take two pipes with me in a soft pipe case, and some baccy in tins or a tri-fold pouch. All of this fits in nicely in my backpack.

If I'm not taking my backpack, I usually pocket a pipe, some cleaners, and a tri-fold of tobacco.

Reactions: yanoJL and jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Tip: A roll type pouch will keep tobacco better than a zipper pouch.... don't ask me why. puffy
I guess less air flow or magic. I always get the roll type pouches personally. But it's because I've either used them to put a pouch in (when I rolled cigs, got the pouch with the slot for the papers) or just thought since I am only putting in enough for a day or two why bother with the zipper. It's always nice when you pick the better option and don't even know it till later.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Crack the windows.
Load it & light it.
Hit the road; steering wheel in one hand & pipe in the other.
Easy peasy.
This may be controversial , but I have found that smoking next to a cracked window in a car can create a thermo movement of heat toward the side of the pipe next to the window creating a divot or burn in the bowl. Over the course of 4 decade I lost three good pipes this way. All three were newer pipes that I had yet to build up a protective layer of carbon in at the time. This was never the case with properly protected bowls that were broken in already.

Reactions: yanoJL
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I have truck pipes. Old estates I cleaned up and leave in my trucks. Then I just grab a jar of something when leaving the house and smoke on it until I get home, then I'll grab something different for my post-work smoke. I used to over-comolicate this whole process, bringing multiple jars and pipes and all. Much easier, and meaningful in a way, to spend time with one tobacco all day.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I don't smoke in public anymore. The last time I can remember was on a subway platform in NYC in the mid 80s, maybe 1986.I had just bought a pipe from Barclay-Rex and some of their Barclay Slice tobacco and commenced to light up.Some lady standing nearby gave me what must have been her best stink eye. I just continued smoking,for the last time in public. I hope to live long enough to see the tables turn,but I doubt it.

Reactions: PipeWI and yanoJL

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I have truck pipes. Old estates I cleaned up and leave in my trucks. Then I just grab a jar of something when leaving the house and smoke on it until I get home, then I'll grab something different for my post-work smoke. I used to over-comolicate this whole process, bringing multiple jars and pipes and all. Much easier, and meaningful in a way, to spend time with one tobacco all day.
I agree, I'll bring maximum 2 blends, but they have to be very different from each other.

It's a great way to really get to know a blend.

Reactions: Streeper541