PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

echambers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2017
Both the pipe and the tat sound good to me -- I have two tats, both marked important transitions in my life. I've had one for 30 years and one for 3 years. No regrets at all. My advice is to find a good tattoo artist and talk about how your particular design will age-some designs do not age well at all.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Thanks guys for all your good wishes. I have done my job since 1990 without a break and I am more than ready for the rest. I am sure I will continue to live a busy life, but I do intend to have a good rest first.
I think the Dunhill idea is pretty well a given - I will organise that at some point in January and then keep the pipe unsmoked until I actually retire. A Cumberland billiard I think.
Regarding the tattoo - I will wait for that until after I move and I will certainly take my time over it. At coming up to 65 years old I am not all that concerned with how it will age!
The house is interesting. My wife was actually born in the house, and her mother was born in it too. It has been in the family since it was built in 1895. When my wife inherited it some ten years ago, she inherited some money with it which allowed her to refurbish it to her liking, so at least it doesn't require much in terms of maintenance.
Mike

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Enjoy your retirement ... I have several tattoos so I am a little biased but I think it's cool to have a tat that has strong personal meaning.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
But, maybe in ten more years I would consider getting a pipe or pipe tobacco logo tattoo.
Wow, that is what I was thinking this morning on my way to the work. Maybe in the future, just before travelling to Cuba.

retrogasm

Might Stick Around
Aug 15, 2014
If you do choose to go through with the tattoo, make sure you get an artist that's comfortable working on aged skin. As you grow older your skin looses collagen which makes it a little more of a challenge to tattoo.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Thanks again for all the advice. Coincidental with this thread, I got a small tax rebate - not a huge one, but enough to fund these little ideas!
Re the tattoo - if I ever do go through with that you can all rest assured that I will only do so after thorough research on the design and on the artist.
Mike

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Mike, that's just no fun at all! Everyone knows that the way to properly get a tattoo is to get drunk, wander in to a random tattoo parlor, pick out something you think is just really cool and go for it! :lol:

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Orley - I seriously think you are half right. The problem with research is that it can wind up being an excuse never to actually do it!
Mike

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
Congratulations on the upcoming retirement! If you want the truly iconic Dunhill, get one from your 1950s birth era; that's during the time when the Dunhill iconic status was established. If the pipes of the present White Spot era were all Dunhill had ever made, there wouldn't be any iconic status. So go for one that comes from an era when Dunhills were made well and earned the Respect that made them Iconic. Thus go for a BIRTH YEAR ... a 1953 or 1954?

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Thomas .. 53 actually. Incidentally, I love your avatar. Tom Crean is among my heroes from an age when heroes really were made of different stuff.
Mike

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I recognized Tom Crean also. He was my favorite character in Caroline Alexander's book The Endurance.

ISBN 0375404031

Amazing how real life always produces the best characters.

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Congrats !!
Best thing ever invented. Thought I would be bored ? Not so. Never,never,never go shopping on the weekends, never have to rush to get things done on the weekends, it'll wait. If I do go shopping , stores are empty during the week.
I lost 48 lbs after I retired. I quit eating when it was time, only eat when I'm hungry. And no more donuts !!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Congrats on retirement my friend, I wish you many happy years of uninterrupted smoking! As for your tattoo, I think you should get the St. Bruno dog tattooed on you. Lol. Cheers, mate.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Congradulations of your retirement - some of us think we won't live that age, so in my honest opinion, sir, you have accomplished a great deal by managing to live to your retirement by itself.
jvnshr +1 Cuba.
AS far as you tattoo ... it seems a bit odd to be getting it at retirement age, I personally have done mine (as in multiple works, over the years on the same piece) starting with a very young age. On the other hand, as in your case, it is something that has represented my heritage and it always will, therefore no regrets. I have no prejudice against people with ink on their bodies, obviously, and if somebody is really determined I strongly encourage it.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I have done my job since 1990 without a break and I am more than ready for the rest."
But you only work one day a week :nana:
At least that's what my sister says to her bloke who is a vicar.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To give the clergy their due, I've never figured out how anyone does that job. The expectations are so various. You're supposed to be a sort of intellectual in the pulpit, a manager administrator in the office, soft and fuzzy for story time for the young kids, a primo party guest, a hard-nose with the budget, and on and on forever. I'm glad some can do it because despite fantasies in middle school, I certainly couldn't have done it. I managed to serve as an acolyte, and later as an usher, and I've served on several congregational committees, enough to know some more of the minister's duties. One time I volunteered to sub for some pastoral visits; even with my volunteering, no one could picture that. Whew.

Status
Not open for further replies.