PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
Just an update. I called to schedule a tour of the barber museum. I spoke with Rex the curator of the museum and owner of Rex's Barber Shop. He informed me that the museum is housed above his shop and a restaurant. Recently there was a fire at the restaurant and the museum suffered heavy smoke damage. He said that the museum's artifacts are currently being packaged up and sent out for cleaning while they search for a new location. He said that at the earliest the museum would re-open by January.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
This one is only a 90 minute drive for me. I've never been to a show before. Is it worth the trip? What do I need to bring besides myself?

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Hell yes its worth the drive! Bring a pipe or three and plan to spend the whole day if you have the time. There is a bar and restaurant so some spending money for that if you are inclined, and a budget if you plan to buy any pipes or tobacco.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Definitely worth the 90 minute drive. Here is my list of things to bring:
1) Money for Pipes

2) Money for Tobacco

3) Money for pipe accessories

4) Money for raffle tickets so you can win prizes (pipes, tobacco, shirts, accessories, etc...)

5) a willingness to talk, ask questions, learn, and meet many who are also involved in this fun hobby.
While there aren't indoor smoking areas there are usually people gathered outside smoking pipes and talking.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I went briefly tonight. This is the second year that they have had a Friday night meet and greet. It was pretty hopping tonight, much more so than last year's Friday night meet and greet. Anyway tomorrow should be really busy and lots of fun.
I will be going back tomorrow walking around talking to people and looking for good deals. If you want to meet me come on up. My name is David. I will be the big bearded guy wearing a Teal Trucker cap with a yellow tent on it.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Had fun at this pipe show missed seeing a lot of vendors there though. Overall a very well put together pipe show. It was very much low key this morning on and came home with some fair deals on tobacco. It is truly amazing the wealth of knowledge people have of pipes and really what they are looking for. The tobacco available at this event could have improved but all of the pipes available was not bad. A really good venue for this event for sure.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I hope those of you who made it to the show had as much fun as I did. This is still the only show I have been to but I always have fun at it. I have attended every year for the past 10 except one where I was out of the country. I am sorry I didn't take many pictures but I was too busy talking and looking for deals. There were many great pipe makers at the show and it was fun talking to many of them about their craft as well as our great hobby. I had a lot of fun talking to some of the pipe makers that I have gotten to know over the years and a few that I would consider friends such as Jason Chochey (briarbird), Thomas James, Joe Nelson, Scott Thile, Ryan Alden and the smokers haven crew. There were many more pipe makers in attendance but I spent the majority of my time talking to these guys.
I also want to say thanks to the forum members that I got to meet. Thanks for coming up and saying hello. And as always it was good to see JJ aka BigVan again.
I was able to sell some tins that I didn't want and sell a pipe that I bought on ebay but just never liked.
I walked away from the show with three tins:

- McClelland Red and Black - This one is new and I can't find any reviews online but its a McClelland VA so it should be good, especially with some age

- Butera Royal Vintage Dark Stoved- A good tobacco that already has a couple years on it. IMO a slightly more manageable Dart Star

- Fribourg & Treyer - Special Brown Flake - Just good stuff
I also walked out with a Thomas James Blasted Bent tomato. I have wanted a Thomas James pipe for years. I have no idea why he isn't talked about more on here. I bought it from Smokers Haven (Premel) and I must say that I have done business with Premel for years and I can't recommend him highly enough for both his knowledge and generosity, and that also goes for the crew that he has assembled.
Anyway here is what you all really care about..... Pics of the new pipe.
img_20150829_172003-600x600.jpg

img_20150829_164811-449x600.jpg

It's a small pipe but it is exactly what I was looking for, and that Black blast with the Blue stem really spoke to me.

Pipe Stats:

Manufacturer: Thomas James

Length: 4.5 in/11.4 cm

Bowl Height: 1.51 in / 3.8 cm

Bowl Width: 1.75 in / 4.4 cm

Chamber Diameter: .61 in / 1.6 cm

Chamber Depth: .96 in / 2.4 cm

Weight: 1.38 oz / 39.1 g

Origin: Made in the USA

Condition: 100/100 unsmoked

Status
Not open for further replies.