Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Well the Columbus show has come and gone, except for the Smoker's haven post show events tomorrow. It was a good show this year. I had a blast hanging out and talking with so many Pipe makers such as Ryan Alden, Jason Cochey (briarbird), Thomas James, SE Thile, Joe Nelson, Nate King, Perry White, RC Sands, Tim West, Northern Briars, DSH, Royal Oak, Bob Gilbert, Bob Oakley, Solomon Pipes, Split Beard Pipes, Micah Redmond, J&J, Jerry Crawford, and probably others that I forgot. I also enjoyed talking to the vendors and looking through all their pipes.
Of those Makers many are doing amazing work. The ones that really stood out to me were Thomas James, Jason Cochey, SE Thile, Joe Nelson, Ryan Alden and Nate King. Jason Cochey aka Briar Bird has really upped his game and I was going to buy one from him but I waited too long and someone else grabbed it before I made it back to his table. If you haven't checked out his work lately you really need too. His pipes are really really nice and his stemwork has really improved over the last year.
Other then the Pipes, I got to reconnect with and meet some great people. Most notable was JJ aka BigVan from here on the forums. He has given me lots of advice on this forum and at the show today. He also let me look at some of his pipe collection, including his Joe Nelson Panel dog which is one of the most beautiful pipes I have ever seen. The pictures I have seen don't do it justice.
I only bought one pipe but it is beautiful and it called out to me through the whole show. It is my first SE Thile pipe and if you haven't met him at a show or bought one of his pipes then I highly recommend you do. His work is amazing and he is one heck of a nice guy. I haven't smoked it yet but if it smokes anywhere near as good as it looks then I have one amazing pipe. These pics don't do it justice at all, but here it is anyway.
20140823_175615-600x337.jpg

20140823_175643-600x337.jpg

20140823_175700-600x337.jpg

20140823_175744-600x337.jpg

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
Can confirm, Scott makes a really great smoking pipe. Very very comfortable bit, excellent mechanics. It makes me wonder if the piano tuning had anything to do with the build quality. I have dedicated Dark Strong Flake in mine, and it has never disappointed. Nice grab!
My Thile:

002-615-0009.jpg

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
That is one lovely pipe.
Are there a lot of estate pipes for sales at these shows or are they mostly new pipes? Of the new pipes are most independent carvers or the "off the shelf" makers that you would see at the major retailers?
Thanks - I hope those questions are ok.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I was also at the show on Friday and coincidentally I bought your pipes' twin from Scott, except that on mine the top is still blasted instead of smooth as yours is, happy smoking!

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Congrats on the pickup! Scott's pipes are phenomenal. I dedicated mine to Stonehaven and it practically smokes itself. Puts most of my other pipes to shame.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Are there a lot of estate pipes for sales at these shows or are they mostly new pipes? Of the new pipes are most independent carvers or the "off the shelf" makers that you would see at the major retailers?
Those questions are fine. It is my understanding that ever show is different. I can only speak of the Columbus show because its the only one I have ever been to, although I have been quite a few times.
At the Columbus show there are a number of Custom pipe makers. There are also many tables of vendors with New pipes from both makers and Companies. You will see both major companies like Savinelli and also tons of independent pipe makers. Then there are quite a few tables of Estates. Some tables are clearly marked and some you have to dig through.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I would love to have one of Scott's pipes one day. A very precise crafstsmen, and I agree, a super nice guy!

May 31, 2012
Great report!
Wish I could have been there.
I'm so glad BigVan is around here,

his posts nudged me toward American carvers and I thank him for always shining a spotlight.

:puffy:
The Scott Thile is grand,

congrats!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
If you're only going to buy one pipe, THAT'S the pipe to buy!
It was great talking to you and I'm SURE you're going to enjoy that Thile!!
JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.