PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I've got nothing left to say really. Besides, I've almost used my quarterly allotment of words allowed for commenting and if I go over I can only comment with single words and certain emojis. I still want to post on the WAYS thread from time to time, so I'll save what I have left for that.

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
So what have we learned from all this carnage?
Don't challenge @chasingembers lightly, because he will go to extreme lengths to help us understand.
i see a lot of these Meerschaum coloring bowls do, how are they suppose to work?
I've got a theory on the shank coloring. That that is where moisture collects, and the temperature differential and condensation and capilary action has to do with the "condensation" of tars that move through the material. Hence the shank coloring first. I assume the coloring-attachment gets the bowl in the position to absorb the tars rather than starting at the shank.

I'm still wondering if perhaps filling a freshly smoked bowl with water and letting it sit, accelerates the process.

Please don't take this as another challenge to cut one up :)

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Don't challenge @chasingembers lightly, because he will go to extreme lengths to help us understand.
rotf

I've got a theory on the shank coloring. That that is where moisture collects, and the temperature differential and condensation and capilary action has to do with the "condensation" of tars that move through the material. Hence the shank coloring first. I assume the coloring-attachment gets the bowl in the position to absorb the tars rather than starting at the shank.
The problem with that in my dissection experiment was no staining between the airway and the exterior of the pipe. The meerschaum wasn't colored, only the wax.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Noooo stop it this has been covered in SEVERAL posts, christ is there a way to block or hide entire threads? ?

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho

I'm still wondering if perhaps filling a freshly smoked bowl with water and letting it sit, accelerates the process.

Please don't take this as another challenge to cut one up :)
Why fill it with water and not whiskey?The other day I performed the test and filled the new tobacco in a bowl after smoking one when bowl was still warm and put 1.5 teaspoons of Tennessee whiskey single barrel on my tobacco and left overnight...The only results i could see was that my Plum puding special reserve changed to Burbon barrel aged overnight and tasted great the next day...no coloring change...tobacco sucked all the whiskey in it...maybe if you submerge bacco completely to the top of the bowl every day for a month you may see some coloring results...it shoud leak into the meerschaum and when warmed up it would glue itself in

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy