PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Can someone clue me in on the Castleford pipes that are stamped Hand Made by Colin Fromm. Yes I have read the usual internet sources. Thanks.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There's not much to go on, besides this thread from a year ago. I don't think participants in this thread made the purchase. Mike Lankton bought one, from memory and I believe he was pleased. Mike had the "CakeandDottle.com" page, but that is now defunct.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/any-experience-with-castleford

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Thanks Al - I hadn't seen that thread before. Maybe Ken or somebody has the skinny. Sure seems like somewhat of a mystery guy at this point.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
All I can say is that I used to have an Invicta marked Hand Made by Colin Fromm. If the pipedia quote I cited in the other thread is correct, it was before Castleford. I've seen other Invicta's with the marking. The one I had was a really nice pipe, shouldn't have sold it, but needs must.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Speaking of the Cake and Dottle blog, I was sorry to see it end. I enjoyed Mike's take on pipes, especially some of the old lesser known brands.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yes, coincidentally, I was just talking to Mike via Facebook messenger. I forgot to ask him about his site. That was THE lone source for info on those brands.

robski

Lurker
Aug 30, 2013
Colin Fromm worked with Colin Leeson at Invicta Briars based in "The old ragged School" in Chatham. Originally starting out as a repair shop, they began producing their own pipes under the Invicta label. They also produced pipes and did stem work, for other companies. I've seen trays of pipes in the factory that were destined to become Charatan's and Astley's . And repairs for Dunhill.
The Castleford brand was created by Colin Fromm with a view towards the export markets .
Colin Leeson sold the factory to Dunhill and Colin Fromm transferred over to Dunhill. Part of the deal was that Colin Fromm was to be allowed to continue his Castleford brand ( I think the brand has now been retired ).
Colin Fromm still does Dunhill repairs and produces the Dunhill HT pipes and some (all?)of the high grade Charatans.
Back in the day, it was always great to pop into the factory. Repairs were done while you waited and new pipes were always available for purchase.If there was nothing that took your eye, Colin Fromm would make it for you - it would only take a few weeks.He could also copy pipes, and made me a straight grain copy of a large Ferndown bent apple bark.
Visitors to the factory are no longer allowed

Reactions: rushx9
Status
Not open for further replies.