PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Starting tonight it's going to be really cold here in Carolina for 4 days.I wish those nice Canadian folks would keep their cold weather up there where it belongs.There's nothing personal here.I just don't like being cold.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Not telling Buroak, 'cause I have the feeling you're going to call us wussies.
Nah, although condensation has made ice bridges from my moustache to my beard during snow-shoveling sessions, I do not live close enough to the Arctic Circle to call you wussies. I am simply interested in perceptions about weather in other parts of the country.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
My wife and I are spending 2 months in South Carolina to escape the cold Pa winter and the damn cold followed us. I have to run the water overnight to keep the pipes from freezing. Who'd have thought it.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
It's not the temps in the 20F range that make it perceivably cold, but rather the wild swings from week to week, and the humidity which makes the cold colder. Having transplanted to SPC Land ( halfway between Myrtle Beach and Wilmington ) from Anchorage little over a year and a half ago, I am still trying to get used to the weather. In Alaska, it got cold and stayed cold for months, plus South Central is rather a cold desert. Take into account inefficient electric heating systems in most apartments and condos, and you get the picture.....

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Last week it was below zero and now we are above freezing and headed higher. We've had a pretty mild winter this go round in Anchorage. According to the Weather Bureau we never was a temp below zero all of last calendar year.
We did learn many years ago to run a heating duct under or near plumbing in exterior walls. No more leaving the cabinet doors open and the faucets open a bit.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I moved from Fairbanks AK to NC some time ago, and I get just as chilled down here as I did up there. As rcstan pointed out, its the temperature swings that get you, plus the humidity. I'd rather be in Fairbanks at -5 than NC at 25. Also, better clothing helps. No sense to keep clothing that only gets worn 2x at most.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
It's in the teens here with a mighty wind blowing.
That combination is pernicious. No matter how much the Scouts and experience have taught me about layering and windchill, a temperature in the teens still lulls me into wearing less than I need.
Last week it was below zero and now we are above freezing and headed higher. We've had a pretty mild winter this go round in Anchorage. According to the Weather Bureau we never was a temp below zero all of last calendar year.
Warren, I think folks tend to forget (I know I do) that coastal Alaskan temperatures are moderated by the sea. I would much rather winter in coastal Alaska than in International Falls, MN.
We did learn many years ago to run a heating duct under or near plumbing in exterior walls. No more leaving the cabinet doors open and the faucets open a bit.
Funny, a Kansas apartment complex I once called home distributed a warning about keeping cabinet doors open around the sink and allowing a constant trickle of water from the tap. That confirmed all of my suspicions about the soundness of apartment construction. When one entity owns the structure and another pays the utilities, incentives are misaligned.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
"Why not Minot?" Some of the Air Force vets may remember that.
In my humble opinion Minot, ND is scary miserable in the winter. Nothing but a couple of barb wire fences on the Canadian plains to slow down the "Siberian Express." International Falls is no picnic either. It's that damned wind. Fairbanks is dry and doesn't have the wind. Anchorage is protected by mountains and warmed by the Japanese Current running through the Gulf of Alaska. We don't get cold in Anchorage, not compared to the northern plains states.
And the wet cold of VA and the other mid-Atlantic states, you just can't dress for that.
Nope, give me balmy South-Central Alaska if I'm going to live in a winter climate.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
The Dakotas are certainly no fun, either. Warren, you make your Alaskan home sound like the birthplace of the Mai-Tai. How are your citrus trees faring this year?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Well, now that is a problem. I was 18 and at basic training, in Texas, when I learned that fruits did not have to come from a can, skinned and sliced.
I do have a neighbor down the mountain who has spent nearly 50 years figuring out how to grow apples. He finally started having success 20 years ago and in the last few years has developed a sweet apple as opposed to only tart "pie" apples.
In all honesty I can't take more than 10 days or so in Hawaii. I love it but, 69 winters and it's in my blood. And, I'd never, ever, want to spend a winter in Chicago or anywhere near the Great Lakes. Anchorage doesn't get the big snows nor the long frigid periods like they do up north or on the Bering. I guess its just home to me.
My dog is laying on the bed, warming it up for me. That helps in the winter.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
In my humble opinion Minot, ND is scary miserable in the winter.

Lol.... I live 390km or 290 miles north of Minot. When I was in the army we always laughed at the Minot "Flying Cupcakes", as we called them, because they got extra pay for serving in "harsh climate" while we were doing basic training in Wainwright Alberta in Febuary and doing morning p.t. in -30. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.