PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
I'm smoking DNR's this morning. First bowl was rubbed out. Next one was folded. It seemed to me the folded had more flavor and had a better volume of richer smoke...The same pipe was used for both. Just a coin-cidence ?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
There are many who prefer the "Fold and Stuff" method for both coins and flakes, for exactly what you describe. :)

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Yeah, fold 'n stuff 4 life, boooi!
I prefer the fold-and-stuff method for both coins and flakes, for the very reasons you mentioned. I also find that the smoking duration is longer; and it's just quickier and more convient to pack a bowl and roll. The only drawback I've personally found, is a moist blend takes forever to get happily smoldering.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll have to try fold-and-stuff again. I always want instant gratification and just rub 'em out. But clearly, I may be missing something if I can master the technique. Maybe I'll pack my pipe with loose tobacco, and pack another, for later, by the fold an stuff method, and gradually learn that way, by slowing the process down. It should work, but I don't take the time. Dry before folding and stuffing, for a start!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I normally fold and stuff DNR and Escudo. Sometimes when I open a new tin there can be some more moisture than I normally like so I will tear the coins apart and then load it like I would a broken flake. It burns easier this way. After a tin has been open for a week or 2 I then go back to fold and stuff.

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
I"m looking forward to trying it out on other flakes......FVF would have to be drying out for quite a while I imagine...before the fold and stuff.....

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
I like the tri-fold and pack lightly method for flakes. Working on a tin of Old Dark Fired atm. I usually have some broken up for packing on top. I find it lights easier. I couldn't figure out how to fold DNR, so I broke it up. I should revisit that one.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Fold or rub, even experts disagree on this one. Per Jensen of Mac Baren says fold, but Russ Ouellette says rubbing produces more flavor (more oxygen?).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Folding produces more flavor because of the slow burn, but the same can be produced from fully rubbed by smoking slowly.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've stuffed and folded, cube cut, rubbed out, thin sliced, eviscerated, lasered, etc. They all work and I've yet to find that any one method is superior to any other. If the moisture is correct and the tobacco is smoked slow and simmered, I get a great smoke. If you're partial to fold and stuff, do that the day before you're going to smoke the flake and see how it works for you after it's been sitting in the chamber for a day. Should light more easily. Also, adding some well dried and rubbed out flake over the top, as kindling, will make lighting up a bit easier for those who have a difficult time lighting up a whole stuffed flake.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Back in the 70's flake was considered, and recommended as, the cut of choice for smoking outdoors or in drafty conditions in as much as other cuts would burn too fast. I don't hear that idea floated too much these days, as flake has become an anytime/anywhere indulgence.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I almost exclusively fold and stuff, nearly any flake or coin. I find that I don't need excessive drying. In fact I often just open the tin and let it dry as I smoke. By a couple of days, the lack of seal allows the flakes to get to a perfect moisture level and I am happy as can be. They may be a little too dry by the last couple of flakes, but it's a good cycle. I really do get a more condensed flavor than rubbing, but YMMV.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Fold, twist, and gently insert (shouldn't be pressed up against the pipe walls) works for me. Whether it's the best or not, I dunno, but I like the way it burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.