PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Does anyone else do this? As I smoke more these days I try to avoid hot tobacco like the plague. Now lately I have been using a coffee grinder to chop up my flakes which I then dry out. I have done this with Ennerdale, Lancer Slices, and Bullseye Flake and although the tobacco burns quicker it seems to burn much cooler and with less bite. As far as flavor of course it is just my opinion but so far (especially Lancer) is perfect. Also I only do this to a couple of bowlfuls at a time.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Never done it, but I certainly would. I even believe it could enhance the flavor by releasing molecules. I use scissors myself.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I use one of those rosewood weed grinders the stoners use to prepare their weed. It works great on flakes and coins if you don't care to fold and stuff. As a special bonus, it has a subtle and tasteful (gigantic and gaudy) leaf laser-carved into the lid.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I've used one to make my own snuff, but never to grind flake. I enjoy the rubbing of the flake too much not to rub them out.

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
I tried this several years ago and had some success, but my wife claimed it as her own for herbs and cinnamon.
Back to rubbing out my flakes. :puffy:

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I've used a coffee grinder a few times. When I do, I only give it a few quick pulses, as it doesn't take much to turn the tobacco into dust.
For most blends, I either rub them out and pack with the Frank method, or just fold and stuff, depending on the flake I'm smoking.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I have a medium/small size food processor I dedicated to every type of flake. I like the fluffy texture it gives the tobacco. Then it goes in a jar.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I actually grind by coffee beans in a machine with spinning blades--- maybe I'll try putting some pressed flake tobacco in there and pulsing it for a second rather than the usual rub out or knife cutting, along with Cosmic's microwave idea. Both should do a better job of "opening up" the tobacco to the flame to get the tastes released better than rubbing or cutting does.
And since my beans are of a rather exotic, rich flavor I blend myself, who knows, the little bit of coffee dust and aroma in there might add something exotic as well.
But, do I have to report this now to the FDA and get approval for making a new blend? :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.