PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Before settling in for my freshly ground and carefully brewed pour over morning coffee on the back deck overlooking the rolling fields of Bergen County NJ, I perused my vast cellar for a suitable morning smoke. My eye was drawn to a jar of KBY Dark Fired Cherry which I havent smoked in a bit and I promptly packed and lit up.

Mistake. While I really like DFC, it does not pair well with coffee - cherry blends probably do not in general. Vanilla or hazelnut aromatics (like the Cult Abacus I was thoughtfully gifted for xmas) and burley blends do. Englishes and straight VAs and VaPers not so much for me.

What are some of your favorite coffee pairings?

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Before settling in for my freshly ground and carefully brewed pour over morning coffee on the back deck overlooking the rolling fields of Bergen County NJ, I perused my vast cellar for a suitable morning smoke. My eye was drawn to a jar of KBY Dark Fired Cherry which I havent smoked in a bit and I promptly packed and lit up.

Mistake. While I really like DFC, it does not pair well with coffee - cherry blends probably do not in general. Vanilla or hazelnut aromatics (like the Cult Abacus I was thoughtfully gifted for xmas) and burley blends do. Englishes and straight VAs and VaPers not so much for me.

What are some of your favorite coffee pairings?
I'm usually taking a crap when I'm drinking my coffee, but when I'm not taking a crap but I am drinking coffee it's usually Carolina Red Flake, although lately I've been smoking MB's Vanilla roll cake with coffee.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
For some reason, coffee which I drink every morning, doesn't pair with any blend for me. Too bad, but true. Coffee takes too wide a taste band.
I agree. I'd rather seperate the two and not mix them. The only time I do is if I have severe insomnia and it's already too late in the morning to bother with trying to sleep. But otherwise it's too much like watching two good movies at the same time. Too much split attention to properly enjoy either. And the rare times I do mx both I have to admit it has more to do with the effects then the pleasure. The effect being not feeling quite as tired as I actually am for a few minutes.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Silence preferably
My girlfriend is awesome but sometimes she wakes up at the same time as me. And will talk with me before I've finished my first cup of coffee. Which is a pointless endeavor because before I have that cup I don't know what words mean or how they go together. (this can be demonstrated when I post here before the first cup, that's usually what happens when people can't understand what I am trying to say.)

I have settled on Burleys as my go-to blends and some of them are pretty good with coffee:
  • Solani ABF
  • KBV Burley (and Burlier) morning pipe
  • Stonehaven
To name a few, but the best in my book is a nice rich English like Balkan Supreme or Penzance. They both really do it for me with a nice strong cup of fresh roasted coffee (READ: Nothing out of a can!). It can't be beat

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky goes really well too!

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
My girlfriend is awesome but sometimes she wakes up at the same time as me. And will talk with me before I've finished my first cup of coffee. Which is a pointless endeavor because before I have that cup I don't know what words mean or how they go together. (this can be demonstrated when I post here before the first cup, that's usually what happens when people can't understand what I am trying to say.)
As Patrice O’Neal said (may he rest in peace), men don’t want to be alone, but they do want to be by themselves.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Black coffee or Tea with milk. No sugar.

Hmmmm. Burley Burley Burley and Burley

I’m primarily a morning imbiber and with coffee?

Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Pegasus, Norwood, Burley London Blend, Golden Extra, Symphony (Harmony) and must I say it? ... G _ _ _ _ _ R.

Burley serves as the cream and sweetness to black coffee’s bitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.