PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
My favorite spring weather smoke is with fresh roasted (in my own roster) and ground Ethiopian Espresso coffee, with a couple bowls of Classic Coyote. What coffee do you like with what tobacco?

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Folgers, black with sugar, with non-aromatics. With aromatics, like Lane Limited 1Q and MacBaren's Vanilla Cream, I like some French Vanilla creamer in my coffee.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
French roast Peruvian brewed in the French press. Black.

Any tobacco blend works.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Whatever the waitress is pouring that morning as long as it's black and hot. At home it's Safeway's beans, flavor and type vary. The coffee maker grinds the beans at 5am and I'm drinking my first cup by 5:10. No pipe at that hour. Coffee and tobacco aren't paired. I grab a couple of tins or pouches and head out in the morning to be surprised I suppose.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
cosmic, that surely takes the guesswork out of it. We are to have a burst of warm weather tomorrow, 50 degrees. I am going to try some Turkish espresso with a couple bowls of that beautiful Virginia you sent to me. Again many thanks!!
Yea, French press is a wonderful way also. Blacker the better!! Drop a road flare into a cup of black coffee and if you can't see any light from the flare then it just right.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Bulldog Blend as a cappuccino and Espresso Blend for espresso, via Quickmill Andreja espresso machine. Both coffees are from my local B+M coffee roaster.

Peet's Major Dickason black via drip or French press. All ground moments before extraction.
With any and all tobaccos. Maybe one day I will be sophisticated enough to do pairings.....

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Drop a road flare into a cup of black coffee and if you can't see any light from the flare then it just right.
Just tried that, but it left an awful taste of sulphur and other harsh chemicals! Ugh!
On a more serious vein, please tell a bit about making Turkish coffee at home.

Sep 18, 2015
I have a very good grasp of what coffee pairs with what cigar, I am still experimenting with pipe tobacco, so far I prefer a light to med roast with my lat and a full bodied dark with Virginia's and Burly. at the moment I have five types of different beans. A couple of my current fav's are Guatemala Antigua and Costa Rica Las Lajas.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Coffee (with creme) is certainly my favorite beverage, with or without a pipe. I do enjoy it more with my pipe. My morning commute is a a pipeful of a light to medium English or Balkan with a travel mug of Folgers or Maxwell House coffee.
Mike S.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Coffee and a pipe always go well together, but I have to admit a special fondness for early summer mornings with a cup of black coffee (always dark roast) and some Carter Hall in a cob.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
jpmcwjr, My friend travels to Turkey and Greece often and brings back the ground coffee they use. I have found out that both are using mostly Costa Rica bean ground to a dust. Like tobaccos, mix other dark roast together and grind very fine, then into an espresso maker. When making espresso, a lot of ground coffee to a small cup. I also use the funny looking little pot that you can set on a stove, when it's hot enough the coffee, under pressure comes out a brass or copper tube into the cup. Try 40% aged Sumatra, 30% Sumatra fresh roasted, or Subedi (spelling), 30% Guatemala. But as you may already know Turkey doesn't produce any coffee crop, Turkish coffee is a making process. Any coffee can be used to make "Turkish type" espresso. I like Latakia tobaccos with espresso. I can smoke cheap tobacco, but can't drink cheap bagged grocery store coffee.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
There is a local roaster where I live that delivers fresh coffee beans right to my door. A pipe in the morning with a cup of that coffee is just excellent.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Coffee competes with the flavor of tobacco, as do most drinks. I just drink plain water when I smoke the pipe.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Whatever the waitress is pouring that morning as long as it's black and hot.
Damn, it is such an old movie cliche scene that I have always envied.
images

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I usually start my day with dark roasted French Market coffee with chicory and a Va/Per. Later in the day I switch over to iced green tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.