PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Edward G. Robinson is not exactly a tub blend, but it was revived and rescued from oblivion by our own jiminks, and it is an excellent traditional blend, as is Iwan Ries Three Star Blue. No blend is to everyone's taste, but some of the golden oldies are a true pleasure. Just try around for your own favorites, and be patient with the people who like the ones you don't.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
I’ve never tried SWR or Prince Albert! When I picked up the pipe (a little over three years ago), I bought a tub of those two and Carter Hall. I figured I’d start with the Carter Hall and finish that before moving on to one of the other tubs, but I haven’t finished the Carter Hall yet! I don’t smoke a lot of it, obviously. But it’s not bad.

damacene

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
I tend to usually smoke burley or English(technically Scottish I guess) blends and like pretty much all the codger blends I've tried. SWR and Velvet are my two favorites. I tried CB Royal recently and thought I was going to hate it, but fell in love.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I tend to usually smoke burley or English(technically Scottish I guess) blends and like pretty much all the codger blends I've tried. SWR and Velvet are my two favorites. I tried CB Royal recently and thought I was going to hate it, but fell in love.
I can't stand CB too goopy and doesn't agree with me. Though the Seven Seas blends are awesome and their version of Royal is favorite.

damacene

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
I'm kind of curious if adding some latakia to royal would make something similar to CB black sea...which I've never tried but have heard it was really good.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Is there a consensus on what qualifies as a codger blend? Would I have to still be able to buy it in a pouch (or tub) at a local tobacco store, or do match blends count?

I feel like Revelation would have counted back in the day, but obviously match blends are all that we can get now. I'm on a Cornell & Diehl Epiphany kick as of late. Such a nice all-around smoke.

Reactions: damacene