PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Just finished a Cocobolo Wood tamper last night along with another Zebra Wood tamper. I'm loving the way the Cocobolo looks. Here's a few images of the ones from last night and then one of my stack of completed tampers so far:
photogrid_1554384432596-600x600.jpg

20190404_092415-432x600.jpg

I'm planning on making a few more between tonight and tomorrow. Might even pick up some Ebony Wood if I get a chance.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Those are all very nice works of art. Do you have a stamp/brand/marking of your own? If you plan to sell them, I'd put my name on them!

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Very nice looking tampers, I see you did make one from purpleheart. I agree with didimauw if you going to be releasing them into the world you should totally stamp them or sign them somehow.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not to be Chicken Little, but Cocobolo particulates in sanding can cause respiratory irritation and allergy in some people, so ventilate well or do this outside, the sanding part. Beautiful work as always. I own a Cocobolo pipe from the N.C. carver Jerry Perry, pretty freehand with a tasteful orange bent stem.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Not to be Chicken Little, but Cocobolo particulates in sanding can cause respiratory irritation and allergy in some people, so ventilate well or do this outside, the sanding part. Beautiful work as always.
Exactly why I wear a respirator when I'm out there in the garage sanding on pretty much anything. Exotic woods especially can be volatile on your nervous system if you're not careful. I usually also wear goggles to keep the dust out of my eyes. Sometimes it can still irritate the skin, but I just make sure it's straight to the shower with my dusty self before bed each night.
Those are all very nice works of art. Do you have a stamp/brand/marking of your own? If you plan to sell them, I'd put my name on them!
Very nice looking tampers, I see you did make one from purpleheart. I agree with didimauw if you going to be releasing them into the world you should totally stamp them or sign them somehow.
Yeah, been trying to figure out what to do for that. I'll work something out and figure out how to carve something into it. Part of me really hates to destroy the beauty of them by adding a stamp or carving signature.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
What are the dimensions of the tampers? Especially the diameter of the tamping head?
I cut them to 3/4" by 3/4" and 6-inches long and then carve them down to roughly 1/2" diameter. I leave them at the 6-inch length and I'd say they range between 7/16" and 9/16" diameters at the tamping head. The tamping portion is typically 3" long, give or take an 1/8", from the tamping head to the bottom of the square bit there beneath the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.