PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
So let me start off by saying I love my little cob that was gifted by @ben88 ! I’ve been using it 90% of the time because it’s small and a perfect size for smoking a quick bowl. Also, I don’t mind clamping down on the stem when for the most part it’s essential to keep my hands in my jacket pocket just to keep them warm enough for me to manipulate my lighter if the damn thing goes out. It’s cold as hell here right now and you wouldn’t believe the dedication and persistence it takes to smoke a pipe in a Canadian January!

Anyway, what’s with cobs and the stem protruding into the bowl so much? it’s like a massive straw that needs to be clipped. I’ve since bought two more and researched them a lot and they all seem to have this. Pure engineering necessity? I know they are inexpensive, but it can’t be that hard to keep the edge of the insert in line with the inner bowl. How do you guys contend with the last 10 minutes? After either inhaling straight flame onto my tongue or inhaling a big pile of dottle, I’ve begun making sure to dig out the remaining tobacco from below and around the large protruding stem opening and tamping it down onto the one side of the bowl over top it. Then I came across these. I think this may be an answer. These are small stainless balls that you press into the bottom of the bowl to keep the tobacco from sitting on the briar. I don’t see me ever using them for a regular pipe, but have the idea that this a good solution for my cob issue above.

thoughts??

Attachments

• A8D9129F-695A-4F87-BE1A-36C0F64136AC.png
    A8D9129F-695A-4F87-BE1A-36C0F64136AC.png
    702.2 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: FLDRD

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I have some of those. They'll work for what you need. The only time I use them is when I have some really moist tobacco and don't want to wait for it to dry. I'll put one in the bottom, load the pipe and away I go. Don't use them in my cobs though.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and OzPiper

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I remove that piece.
Step 1 - remove plastic bit and ferule.
Step 2 - nuke the pipe for 20 seconds
Step 3 - pull out and trim the shank
Step 4 - glue shank back into the pipe with carpenter's glue
Step 5 - mud the pipe to raise the bottom (optional)

JSPiper71

Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I remove that piece.
Genius Leon. Cigar ash for the win!! You‘re d’Man! I’m thinking my little stainless mesh balls are a gold temporary option before I have a chance to get modify for the longhaul.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

KaunThePiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2022
New England
www.instagram.com
I personally leave it and let it burn to char. It's the tiny break in period of a cob. I have found once you remove that, you don't get an even burn down to the dottle. But this is subjective. But I will so go look at some of the cobmodders on Instagram. Some great artisans doing cool stuff with cobs

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
You just clean it with a twist of tissue. Leave the ash that settles at the side of the protrusion. It'll form pipe mud, which along with the charred stem forms a nicely shaped base for the chamber and protects the bottom of the bowl.

Jun 25, 2021
England
I don't smoke cobs anymore, but when I did I would do what @ben88 does, and then fill in that stupid indentation at the bottom of the chamber with modelling clay, until flush with the the draught hole and leave to dry for a couple of days.
A big and necessary improvement IMO.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I remove that piece.
Another option is to use a small chisel or Exacto knife to trim the bit of stem that extends into the bowl, then pipe mud the bottom.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
It bothered me a little in the beginning, but I've learned to deal with it. Having said that, I have noticed that if you buy a "bent" style cob, the shank goes into the pummel at an angle and ends up closer to the bottom of the bowl, as opposed to a "straight" style cob where the shank enters at a 90-degree angle to the pummel.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@JSPiper71

Here’s your answer.

You’re not suppose to burn them out. ;)

Last edited:

JSPiper71

Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Here's my immediate solution. Think it will work well. Bought these from an old timer online and made a new friend in the meantime.Pipe screens.jpg