Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Come to think of it, maybe the ambers are a little more "brittle" than the black. Or is it just my imagination?

May 4, 2015
Come to think of it, maybe the ambers are a little more "brittle" than the black. Or is it just my imagination?
I've personally never broken an MM bit. Somehow.
I'm not beyond convincing that whatever they add to the molten plastic goo to make it black or amber could affect its brittleness, though.

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
Yeah it could all be a mental thing with me and amber color. I hate that kink bend too but haven't tried bending any. Although I did put a straight Danish stem in a bent Washington. It looked a little strange to me and felt weird in a clench so I mostly buy all not bent. I've really been liking the feel of the smaller bits a lot on the Tom Sawyer and the little Morgan.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Bending a straight one is super easy. Heat water to a boil in a teakettle, pour it into a pyrex measuring cup, and dip the stem in for about 20 seconds or so. Bend to desired shape by hand. It's literally that easy. After bending, I dip the hot stem into a glass of ice water to "set" the bend, but I don't think it's actually necessary. And I've never had an airway collapse, either; they just bend as easy as can be.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I prefer the amber stems, and replace all bent cobs with them. Plus, they darken nicely over time. I just insert a pipe cleaner into them to prevent the airway from collapsing, heat with a lighter, and bend to the desired shape.
img_20160824_022429-600x396.jpg

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
If I could ask you to indulge me with one more question; and apologies to the OP; I have no idea what cob I have. Can you tell by these pictures.
20160909_165852_zpsgdzqzham.jpg

20151127_151827_zps0cqivozg.jpg

morbious81

Lurker
Sep 1, 2016
Thanks Cosmic!... and I've noticed that half and half, and irish dream go well with the cob taste. With black cavendish it is a stark contrast though... also as a side not my hardwood seems to really like perique.
I've noticed amber seems to hold up better, though it does feel brittle. Ill likely get a hand full of each, and keep on moving.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
It hasn't been mentioned yet, but the MM Freehand stem (available for around $8) will convert any filtered cob to being non-filtered, making for a way less open draw should that bother you.
The bit is also way wider than a standard MM bit, and is made of vulcanite.
It will fit any filtered MM cob, but in my opinion, looks silly on a Legend/ Washington, as the bit is so much larger than the bowl. Looks great on a Country Gentleman, Diplomat, Mark Twain, General, or any other larger cob.

Status
Not open for further replies.