PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Notice this today - looks like the cob is splitting here.. end of the road or SOP for these? I suspect I've been burning it too hot/often.
9ls69Ph.jpg

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
they will start to do that if they get too hot. they still smoke fine, but it will get worse even if you are careful. still smokeable. I had one that cracked from the top of the shank nearly to the rim of the bowl. the crack was almost all the way through the sidewall, but it still smoked. drive it til the wheels fall off, that's what I say

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Yep, I've got one that's doing the same thing. I was wondering about it myself. I've had it for a couple of years now, but only noticed it in the past week or so. There's no telling how long it's been that way! As far as I know, it's the only one of my cobs that's doing that.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
Damn Kent you have put some miles on those cobs! On a side note I had one just crack on me this morning on the way to work. It was my first smoke in it. Never got the bowl hot, so I am guessing that it just happens due to the material it is made from.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Wow, I've had my 2 cobs for several years and have not had that problem. I wonder if the cobs were not dried enough before production. I would guess that moisture could be the culprit.

scrapyardape

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 9, 2013
Florida gulfcoast
Thanks for posting that pic, Kent. My first pipe was a cob that I abused horribly and it looks very similar to the ones in that picture. If yours are still going strong, then I think I'll give mine another shot at life.

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
Love my cob, and I plan on smoking it until it falls apart in my hand. They seem to be able to handle some good lovin' and that's a win in my book. I just checked mine, a MM legend, and it has a small crack as well. Thinking its just something that happens over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.