PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2020
Shropshire, UK
Not sure if this is in the right section, but it was my best guess.
(Please let me know if I'm wrong)..

So, I spend half of my day hypnotised by the stream of beautiful modded/custom cobs that flood my instagram feed.
John Keller and Eric Mills corn cob pipes seem to be my main obsession at the moment.
I am in envy of everything I see and extremely tempted to enquire about prices.. but I'm pretty scared about shipping to the UK and last minute custom charges.

I've even seen some awesome mods on here, such as @frozenchurchwarden 's Retired Generals (that burnt honey Macarthur looks as cool as they come).

I've dipped only the tip of a toe into trying it out myself, just staining the shanks/ one bowl to revitalise a near dead cob.
I'm pleased with the results, but my skills are limited, my tools are fewer and I really don't have the time to invest into improving right now.

Which brings me to wondering;
Does anyone know of any UK based cob-modders?
Or are there any hiding on here?

And as a side note..

Has anyone in the UK ordered from the above named or similar modders?
Am I right to fear the customs charge?

Reactions: canucklehead

Plutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2020
Shropshire, UK
You don't need to fear it, but you need to factor it. Very little gets in under the radar anymore. Expect to cough up 20% import VAT and the Royal Mail's handling charge (currently £8, other couriers a LOT more) at least.
It seems much less daunting now having a rough figure in mind, and its not as high as I'd thought.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Seamaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
Scotland
Oh I have had my eye on the reverse calabash's too . One online tobacconist iver here stocks them.. but i think they're pricier than they originally retailed in the states

Simon at Mysmokingshop (great to do business with, by the way), still has over a dozen left in stock and you can pick your number. £75 ($97 USD) each. Too salty for my palate.

Jun 23, 2019
Honestly, cob-modding (almost sounds dirty) is a great little DIY project. Get a handful of the cheapest cost/size corn cobs and cut 'em up and glue 'em together to your hearts desire, great place to start trying some stains too...

I'm just about to get started on a reverse calabash myself. Using the MM one @chasingembers posted as the muse, but I think I'm gonna give it a fumed Aristocratica stain.

Status
Not open for further replies.