PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jay29

Lurker
Oct 10, 2011
I love Cobs and smoke them mostly. Anything but latakia tobacco. Daily smoke is C&D Exclusive bulk 4-5 bowls per day rotating 7 MM cob pipes. C&D Kajun Kake is my crack. I have noticed the amber stem is now really loose on them. The wood part that sticks into the bowl has been burned away in all pipes. What causes the very loose stems?

Reactions: Cyxelsid

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
The burning away of the wood part which extends into the bowl is completely normal. As far as the stems getting loose, I have not experienced this. I would suggest just continuing to smoke them. It should be self correcting. However, some guys may choose to apply a light coat of beeswax to the stem to help tighten things up if needed.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
One of my shanks eventually started to crack right at the mortise. I can only guess that it was routine abuse - hot, moist, dry, cold, repeat. Plus I’d clean it after every smoke. That did give it a very loose fitting stem. Maybe take a look at the mortise and see if you’ve got a crack developing. I think the ring was supposed to help keep that from happening, but it was loose fitting, at best, from the get go.

Coupled with the fact that a $7 pipe isn’t likely made of super stout and “in it for the long haul” materials, I chalked it up as a good ride and replaced it with seven of its cousins.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
The stems that come fitted on the low-end cobs really aren't the greatest. The more expensive ones come with significantly better ones, both in craftsmanship and materials. However a "Forever Stem" will usually put things right.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My cobs have been sturdy, though I do have quite a few cobs and pipes in general, which takes some of the burden off them all. Lately, I've bought their special edition pipes with acrylic stems, which have been durable, as have the older pipes I fitted with Forever acrylic stems. Mine have been workhorses, not showing much wear. I've never had a burnout.

I also recommend MM hardwood pipes, which cost little and smoke well, and remind me of Danish modern furniture in their matte finishes and simple designs.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I've used some clear nail polish on the tenon to tighten up the stems on my cobs. Brush on a layer and let it dry. Brush on a second layer if the first didn't work. Continue until the stem is tight. I've found that 2 layers will do the trick.
I’ve done the same with cyanoacrylate - a super thin version like a Bob Smith super thin hobby glue

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I've used some clear nail polish on the tenon to tighten up the stems on my cobs. Brush on a layer and let it dry. Brush on a second layer if the first didn't work. Continue until the stem is tight. I've found that 2 layers will do the trick.
This. Clear nail polish is $1.25 at the Dollar Tree and females of the house may wish to use it too.

Reactions: Cyxelsid and ray47

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
Cobs IMO are disposable. Having said that l still have my first one. Rim is black and its pretty gnarly looking but still smokes fine.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Missouri Meerschaum explains, what they call the Spoon.
————————————————-

We assemble our pipes so the spoon on the shank goes all the way across the bottom of the pipe. This helps to protect the bottom of the bowl and is particularly important on the natural bottom bowl pipes. We don’t ever recommend that folks smoke their corn cob pipes down to the last shred of tobacco and doing this does burn away the wood spoon. Some folks don’t really believe their pipes are broken in until that wood spoon is burned off, but what they aren’t thinking about is that the spoon is also helping to hold the shank into the bowl since it gives a large surface area for the glue we use to assemble the pipe.

You get a nice acrylic Forever stem from Vermont Freehand.

I have two cobs with Forever Stems, they’re great! :)

0AD442EE-350B-4C23-8BD8-73A44267D6E4.jpeg

Reactions: Deano