PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I read an article some time ago about a drunken brawl in a bar in New York I think, between Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix also. Apparently Janis broke a bottle over Jim's head because he was ruining Jimi's jam by being drunk and trying to get attention by acting like he was doing fellatio on Hendrix etc.
I was a huge Doors fan in my teens. Still like them, but as a grown up I see quite clearly that Morrison was an intolerable narcissist, and that his creative potential wasn't as great as I thought in my teens.
I love Janis, but I'm not sure she would have developed a lot as an artist.
I'm sure Hendrix would. He could have done unimaginable things I think.
Are there some artists, not necessarily musicians, you think could have created something more, but came short, by death or something else?

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I read an article some time ago about a drunken brawl in a bar in New York I think, between Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix also. Apparently Janis broke a bottle over Jim's head because he was ruining Jimi's jam by being drunk and trying to get attention by acting like he was doing fellatio on Hendrix etc.
I was a huge Doors fan in my teens. Still like them, but as a grown up I see quite clearly that Morrison was an intolerable narcissist, and that his creative potential wasn't as great as I thought in my teens.
Are there some artists, not necessarily musicians, you think could have created something more, but came short, by death or something else?

Chris Farley. Find/watch the documentary on him. Incredible stuff.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
That's a very long list. Sam Cooke, Hank Williams, and Mikhail Lermontov are on my version of it, but Jimi is number one. Morrison was already washed up when he died, imo.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Too many to list, but the ones that immediately come to my mind, besides the ones already mentioned:

Patsy Cline
Otis Redding
Ronnie Van Zant
Randy Rhoads
Townes Van Zandt

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Oh boy. This list is unfortunately too long:
Jeff Buckley
Tim Buckley
Elliott Smith
Nick Drake
John Lennon
Kurt Cobain
John Belushi
Amy Winehouse
Buddy Holly
Patsy Cline
Hank
Tupac
Duane Allman
Sid Barrett (didn't die young, but his mental health problems basically ended his career at 26)

And in classical music:
Jehan Alain (French organist and composer who died in WWII at 29 but had already developed his own very unique voice)
Schubert
Mozart
Bizet
Lili Boulanger
Nicolas De Grigny

Reactions: jpberg

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Oh boy. This list is unfortunately too long:
Jeff Buckley
Tim Buckley
Elliott Smith
Nick Drake
John Lennon
Kurt Cobain
John Belushi
Amy Winehouse
Buddy Holly
Patsy Cline
Hank
Tupac
Duane Allman
Sid Barrett (didn't die young, but his mental health problems basically ended his career at 26)

And in classical music:
Jehan Alain (French organist and composer who died in WWII at 29 but had already developed his own very unique voice)
Schubert
Mozart
Bizet
Lili Boulanger
Nicolas De Grigny
Amy winehouse was an extraordinary talent and her sad and unfortunate death cut short a career that held so much promise, even greatness. On youtube someone has posted a clip of Amy and the great Dinah Washington (who also died young) singing the same song. Their voices have such a similar tone and timbre.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
of course I could but I'd rather Say if you haven't you must check out the Album Forever Changes by Love. They're the band that inspired Jimi to play rock and roll and that pre fame Morrison wished he could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.