PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
So I have been reading with some interest some of the threads on here and notice lately many are being closed by moderators. Case in point, tonights guns=tobacco thread. I find myself confused as to what topics are seemingly allowed and which ones aren't. As I follow through that thread, there was no disagreements, no fighting, no name calling. Seemed to be well inside the pipe discussion and yet was closed. I understand the need to moderate out political discussions because there are many differing opinions, however we are now closing threads that clearly deal with things near and dear to pipe smokers. Current legislation is not political retoric, it's fact. Like discusing today's news. It is on topic because it deals with our hobby. If someone could please help me understand this invisible line we are not to cross I would appreciate it. I can only post so much about what I am smoking that night. Even our pipe club meeting's have some good natured discussion around current events. Just my two cents, but I think we may be going to far in the direction of being overly careful to the point our views and opinions cannot be stated. I mean this post in a most constructive way. As I have heard another say. Not my house not my rules, however this site is very active due in part to the forum section and the group of friends that we develop here. I think we are mature enough for a bit more latitude.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
:rofl: I'm a big boy thanks Dar I can handle the whippin I get out behind the wood shed! :crying:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hi guys, I'll attempt to address the expressed concerns.
We are community of pipe-smokers, who love to discuss pipes, tobacco, and help out new pipers.
There is a lot going on politically, and legislatively in the States right now.

There have been, and are some horrific things happening.

Emotions are running very high all across the country, on all sides of all of the issues.

Emotions are difficult to convey at the best of times in the "Reply Box", they can be easily mis-interpreted.

When one writes something, in one emotional mode, it can easily come across as something quite different.

I personally have been reading a lot of angst and vitriol in a lot of the posts lately.

We moderators have to do our best to keep contentions between members on as friendly and even a keel as possible.
Speaking directly about the Tobacco = Guns thread, the replies weren't so much about any particular "tobacco legislation" but (to me) seemed more about proposed firearm restrictions... tobacco was mentioned as an after thought or not at all. We don't have any problem with a member posting some proud PaPa photos of their latest firearm acquisition, new bow, whopper fish, or latest brew. However; when the discussion veers toward BMGAC-ing it's time to close that thread, or delete it as deemed appropriate by a moderator.
Lastly; we don't close threads without good reason. Any seeming increase in closed or deleted threads are a direct result of those reasons mentioned above.
We want to keep our favorite web site and forum as friendly and inviting as it ever was.

That's it in a nut shell.
Happy puffing guys and gals,

Lawrence

:puffy:

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I am about as politically radical as they come. I am OLD SCHOOL rural American. Farming, hunting, shooting, fishing, horse riding, livestock breeding, crop raisin', frog gigging, deer skinning, American. I grew up on Red Dawn, Hank Williams Jr, Waylon Jennings, and farm chores. My grampa used the outhouse his whole life because he thought it was disgusting to go to the bathroom inside one's own house. I am disgusted with modern America. My red neck 'street cred' is strong. I'll put it up against anybody's.
That said, I am so MF'ing tired of talking politics, and of political forums. I come here partially for an escape from all that. So I'm fine with the rules and their admirably patient and good-natured enforcement.
My apologies if I have bent them.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
This site is not a hobby for Kevin. This is Kevin's business - how he makes his living. He needs advertisers and sponsors and whatever.

He has decided - and it is clearly posted in the rules - no politics. His forum,his rules. I think that's just fine. There are pipe smoking forums that allow discussion of politics. If you really wanna talk about politics in a forum, then that's where you should do it. Nobody says you can only be in one pipe smoking forum.

:puffy:

sebastian

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2013
I try to keep my political beliefs confined to my own thoughts and the voting booth.
Ive heard enough political discussion in the last 5 years to last a lifetime. Im just here for my smoking pleasure. Though I have yet to see anything here that is less than pleasant discussion, I can see where the possibility exists, and can understand how politics may bring out the worst in an otherwise rational conversation. While the point is taken that we are all adults that can have discussions of a political nature without heated debate, I find it a nice escape when there is no political discussion at all.
My 2¢

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I’m surprised it wasn’t closed earlier… But something’s political are going to be discussed, there’s a forum for posting about legislation. That shows up in general discussion so of course it’s going to be commented on. I think the line between politics and legislation is an easy line to determine, and really shouldn’t be a problem for mature adults, well at least those of age. We can talk about Obamacare taxes, but not Obama. Easy. ;)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
But something’s political are going to be discussed, there’s a forum for posting about legislation.
TOBACCO legislation. Not firearms. Not the budget. Not defense policy. Not anything else.
We can talk about Obamacare taxes, but not Obama. Easy
Doesn't seem to be. Some folks can't seem to talk about tobacco legislation without going off on rants about unrelated subjects.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Who wants to take bets on when the thread about closed threads will itself be closed?
Hahaha :nana:
I love to debate my views with intelligent people who can fully argue their own beliefs.... Unfortunately the internet just doesnt seem to be the place for that. I dont know why, but it will always just turn into a poop flinging contest. Too easy to say something ugly anonymously and without fear of getting your butt kicked.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Before this is closed I want to comment on one statement, I used to love to gig frogs also!! While smoking a cob.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
My apologies people. I didnt mean to start a poop-storm, I honestly didnt. I started that thread because I am a "gun guy" as much as I am now a "pipe" guy. Both of these loves are in the crosshairs so it seems (there I go again :) ). There was a direct parallel in what took place with firearms, so I asked the question seeking knowledge. I have to say that I actually enjoyed the thread and the perspectives of everyone. Lawrence's last post there really summed it up. "yes stock up on tobacco". Carry on.....

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
If you need to talk or in the need to get your post count up and don't care to talk about pipes or tobacco you can allways talk about Kevins shoes or car, He likes that and your thread won't get closed. :rofl: :rofl: Just joking!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Punching out someone you disagree with is,of course, the height of maturity and courteous behavior. :puffpipe:

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Discussion of religion and politics invariably ends up being a huge pissing contest where all sides get wet, but nobody wins. It's often embarrassingly ugly and can quickly accelerate to flames of unbelievable proportions
Oh wise man :worship:
Now close this thread already ;-) Unless we
talk about Kevins shoes or car,
:clap:

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
If more people were punched in the face when they were rude and discourteous, this would be a better country. In fact, the fear of being punched in the face probably prevented much discourtesy in decades and ages past. The absence of such concern encourages discourtesy. Bad behavior expands to the extent it is tolerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.