PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ak2000

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2018
Illinois, USA
alphaprimecomm.com
I have a Don Carlos that just started getting clogged while smoking. I'll run a pipe cleaner through it a couple of times and it's okay, then a few puffs later clogged again. It's a bent stem and I think it might have a rough spot in it or something.

Reactions: SedonaFlyFishing

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Do you have a Senior Reamer by any chance? If you do, use the drill tool to see if you can get it through, just gently twisting/drilling by hand. If you get to that point, start with iso soaked cleaners (let them sit in the pipe for 15-20 minutes to soften the tar buildup) to get the rest cleaned.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
My newly purchased Randy Wiley pipe is clogged beyond any thing I’ve seen. I can’t for the life of me get air through. I’ve tried salt/alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, boiling it. Any suggestions. I probably should have cleaned it better post smoke. Thanks
Did you buy it new/unsmoked or is it an estate ?

I've received estates which looked pristine externally but with airways like sewers clogged with a millennia of :poop:

I usually use a lot of alcohol-soaked pipe cleaners, but have had to resort to using thin brushes and even a set of jewellers screwdrivers with the more stubborn ones.

Good luck with your pipe. If it comes to the worst, send it to a professional

Reactions: SedonaFlyFishing
Aug 1, 2012
First, I would isolate the problem to stem or shank and go from there. There are a lot of possible reasons but at least eliminating some will help.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I had this happen with a estate pipe. Unsmoked. Turned out someone got a piece of pipe cleaner stuck in there. I bet something is stuck in there. The one other person I've talked to that had a similar issue it was some piece of plastic. Send it too a pro.

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
With the caveat that boiling the stem will likely straighten out a curved one...and if it is an internal stem flaw, like on one of my old pipes, might seal the stem and require re-tr
With the caveat that boiling the stem will likely straighten out a curved one...and if it is an internal stem flaw, like on one of my old pipes, might seal the stem and require re-drilling.
True that. If you have to re-drill you want it straight. Hopefully you can blow through it and clear the obstruction then set the bend you want and let it cool

Reactions: captainsousie

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
The only time I use a water flush is with a clogged pipe. I'll take an eye dropper and drip in very hot water into the bowl. Let it sit about 2 minutes and then work on the clog from both ends with a straightened paperclip, (an indispensable pipe tool), and/or a shank brush. Usually does the trick, though for more stubborn clogs sometimes I do the same routine very carefully with rubbing alcohol. Very rarely both. That, of course, is only for clogged bowls. Never have attempted it with stems but, then, haven't had any clogged stems I couldn't resolve with a pipe cleaner only.